Two strangers

Derek checked his reflection in the car mirror. He didn't know why he was nervous. It was Stiles. So what this was the first time they'd ever hung out outside of work. He pulled the key from the ignition and made his way into the restaurant. He scanned the room to see Stiles sitting in a back corner, his phone in hand.

Derek rose a brow as he neared, it was odd to see Stiles in a plain t shirt and jeans but here he was.

"You're here early," Derek noted the time. He himself was there a few minutes early.

"Wanted to beat the lunch rush," Stiles gestured to the swarm of people filing in the door.

"Guess we'll be here a while," Derek tried not to groan.

"I already ordered, it's fine," Stiles shrugged.

Derek's head snapped back towards Stiles, "Excuse me?"

"I got you the broccoli cheddar soup and grilled chicken on ciabatta with an extra pickle. Oh and a lemonade of course," Stiles waved a dismissive hand as if it were obvious.

Derek's chest tugged with something he didn't like. It wasn't like Stiles remembered because he wanted to, it was what Derek always got when he came here. Stiles had ordered his lunch from here dozens of times. So why the tug?

"Thank you," Derek answered awkwardly as he shifted in the seat across from Stiles.

"Alright, so I was thinking," Stiles jumped right in, no hesitation, "You told Elijah we'd been dating for six months. I was thinking we could have started dating because-"

"I asked you out after the Unique Chic project wrap up. We were exhausted, we'd spent long hours together going over photos and designs. Lots of late nights in the office. Things got heated," Derek cut in reaching for his newly delivered lemonade.

"Oh the Unique Chic project," Stiles groaned, "Things got heated alright." He recalled the horrible month that had been. Every night he and Derek were in the office hours after everyone else had left. It was the worst project they'd ever worked on.

Derek concentrated on the lemon floating in his drink. He remembered that project well. It would be believable that he and Stiles started dating then, if it hadn't been for the snark and attitude thrown around.

"Okay, you asked me out, I thought it was a joke at first," Stiles nodded.

Derek frowned but didn't argue.

"Where was our first date?"

"What's your favorite restaurant?" Derek asked, his eyes falling back to the lemon.

"No, that's so cliché," Stiles rolled his eyes.

"Okay, what do you suggest?" Derek arched a brow at Stiles.

"Pretend you were gonna take me on a real date, where would you take me?" Stiles' eyes were set on Derek in a way that made him uncomfortable.

"Wherever you wanted to go," Derek shrugged, leaning back.

"Wow, you're super romantic," Stiles quipped. "Where'd you take Elijah on your first date?" maybe he'd get more info that way?

Derek grit his teeth, "I actually took him on the New York skyline cruise. We had dinner and he taught me how to dance."

Stiles noticed the pained expression on Derek's face as he recalled that night.

"Okay, so pretend you're trying to actually impress me," Stiles urged gently.

"Alright, I took you to Electric Lemon where a live band was playing that night," Derek shrugged again.

"Oh the rooftop restaurant? That sounds...nice," Stiles nodded thoughtfully, "I thought the cello player looked twelve."