Chapter 25

Ben's POV:

"Dr Carter, your brothers on the phone. Would you like me to tell him to call later on?" One of the nurses asked while I operated.

"Suction. And yes please. Tell him I won't be long." I told her as I continued operating.

I know they hardly ever call me while I'm at work but they'll be fine for 10 more minutes.

"Karev, close up." I said as I stepped back and let him take my place as he shot me a confused glance and turned back to the patient.

I pulled off my gown and threw it in the bin before rushing out to the scrub room.

Once I was done sterilising, I rushed out the scrub room and grabbed my phone.

12 missed calls Alex
3 missed calls Aiden and a message

What?!

I quickly tapped on Austin's contact name and held my phone to my ear. No answer.

I try again.

No answer.

What the actual fuck is going on?!

Let's try Aiden. Surely he'll pick up.

I tapped on his contact and held my phone up to my ear once again.

"FINALLY!" He shouted through the phone.

"What happened?" I asked confused as I sat in the waiting room.

"When can you get home?" He asked.

"I can ask Athena to cover my next surgery but that's about it." I told him, still confused as to why he needs me home so urgently.

"Well please just hurry up." I heard him sigh as he hung up leaving me staring at my phone in confusion.

What just happened?

I shook my head before getting up and headed for Athena's office.

What could've possibly happened? They always wait till I'm done with work before they tell me anything. Unless it's urgent of course.

Once I reached Athena's office, I knocked on the door and opened it to see her scribbling away on her large whiteboard on the side of her room.

"Oh, hey Ben. What's up?" She asked as she glanced at me and turned back to the board.

"I need to you to do Tanya Wyatt's kidney transplant. You're the only other person working on this case with me and I need to leave early tonight." I said with a frown.

"Is everything okay at home? Are the kids okay?" She asked as she turned away from the board and gave me her full attention.

"I'm not sure. Aiden and Austin have been calling me non stop and when I called Aiden back he told me to get home as soon as I can." I sighed as I ran a hand through my hair.

"Don't worry about Ben I'll take over. But you owe me one." She said with a grin.

"Thanks Thena and yes I do." I said with a chuckle as I rushed out of her office and into my own.

I quickly grabbed my bag and slipped on my coat not bothering to change out of my scrubs and rushed to the elevator.

Once I made it to my car, I threw my bag in the passenger seat and buckled up my seatbelt before backing out the parking lot and drove off.

I swear to god if it's nothing important the kids are going to get it.

Let's be honest, I'm bluffing.