Chapter 10(Ryder's POV): The Escape Artist

Harlow ran out of the room. Father sat back down and finished his dinner and me and Imelda were excused. I knew what this was about. The drive. I led Merrick to his death. I should have known. My father would search Merricks dead body for it and when he found out it wasn't there he would kill Harlow. I saw him give it to her. His sleight of hand was not that good. 

My father was too busy celebrating what he thought was a win. Imelda grabbed my hand and led me to an empty hallway. Where were the soldier's? Was she in my mind? We were in a void. She was using one of her newer powers: darkness manipulation. "Listen, I need to tell you this quickly," she said, she ran her hand through her hair. She was sweating. "This doesn't feel right. Harlow saved me from our father. I know I lied to him but she helped me out. She is in the garage. I can sense her fear growing. Brother, you need to help her." She looked...worried. "I can't do that. I don't know who she is." I threw my hand through my hair. She looked at me. "That isn't true, is it?" How? How could she know? She smiled at me. "Go." She gave me a communicator. "I'll keep in touch with you but right now father needs to think you are going to go check the facilities that have been getting supplies stolen." 

Wait a minute? Supplies have been getting stolen? Never mind that I need to get to her. I ran. She was trying to figure out how to start one of the cars. My favorite car. She has good taste. "Scoot over." She moved to the passenger's seat and we got out. Looking at her sleeping now she looked peaceful like nothing bad had ever happened but everything was how it was meant to be. She knew what her brother was doing. I didn't expect my father to shoot him. It was low. Merrick was unprepared. My father was many things but fair was not one of those things. 

Being with her made me feel right. I couldn't describe why but it was like we knew one another like we weren't strangers who met two days ago. All the bad things I've done to people couldn't be changed and if she knew I don't know if she would accept me. It was worth a try though.