Chapter 13: No We are NOT Going to Kill Him

Walking away from his "prison" I knew I should have said something else. Come on, I became a wimp. I really let him say those things to me and I didn't even stand up for me. For Merrick. I rounded the corner and suddenly I was at the cafeteria. A huge crowd was gathered around one of the tables. The rebel leader was standing on the desk while Gwen was standing next to him. It seemed Ryder coming to the base was more than unsettling.

 "HOW DID HE KNOW WHERE WE WERE?!" Someone screamed. More shouts came from all different directions. "ARE WE GONNA DIE?" Someone else shouted. "They know where we are located, we all are already dead." Someone was crying. "LET'S KILL THE BASTARD! THEY CAN'T GET US IF HE'S DEAD!!" Everyone started shouting the same thing as if coming to the agreement that that was the best option. Nathaniel, rebel leader, looked stressed out of his mind. He didn't know what to say or how to handle the people when under this kind of duress. "Listen!" His voice bellowed. Everyone went still. "We don't need to stoop to their level! Yes he is a monster. He deserves death. We cannot do that though. Instead we can use him as a hostage, we can force the commander's hand!" Everyone looked around. Did we agree? Disagree? 

"That will be all everyone returns to eating or going to your rooms. This conversation is over and if anyone tries anything against what I have said they will face punishment." He looked at everyone as he said that last part. Specifically to me. I wasn't going to kill him. Well... maybe. I haven't decided yet. 

An arm swung around my shoulder. Everett. "Hey princess I heard you went to go talk to prince charmin'. How did that go eh?" He had a stupid grin plastered on his face. I couldn't help but laugh. "I heard he was some hottie mcnaughty. That true?" My mouth dropped open. "Is that the word being spread around?" I raised an eyebrow. "They say he is very handy." He wiggled his eyebrows. Honestly it was so hard to be serious around him. I couldn't stop smiling. 

"I wouldn't know if that is what you are implying." I looked up at him and crossed my arms. His hand still on my shoulder led me over to our table. Max looked over to us and waved. His cute chocolate skin was perfect and his brown eyes glowed with love and warmth. Despite all the pain he goes through he always is kind to me and always has a loving brother effect to those who know him. I knew he missed Merrick despite complaining about how boring his science lessons were.

 I sat next to him and Everett sat on the other side. A girl passed and winked at him. So I see he's been busy. "I assume Ryder isn't the only Mr. mcnaughty around here then? I see you've been busy." I moved my head in the direction the girl left in. He smirked. This better be good. I need a good laugh right now. "Nah. That girl, Su, has been stalking me for a bit. I mean I have started to use my powers out of the training room in order to avoid the gal. I mean she's sweet but crazy. I may be lonely but I ain't desperate and that's that. But you know I can't control the gals. I'm a magnet for them." He acted like he was flipping his hair. I laughed. His hair was a wavy mess but only went to his ears. 

Max looked disgusted. "What do you mean? Why do they want you?" Poor Max being confused and asking the wrong person for that type of information. "Cause I've got the it factor. I also have a big di-" I screamed and covered Max's ears. "YOU CAN'T JUST SAY THAT TO HIM EVERETT!" Max kept trying to take my hands off his ears by holding him with a death lock grip. 

Everett was rolling on the floor. "Do you need your inhaler?" I mocked. It only made him wheeze more. I removed my hands from Max's ears and he looked between me and Everett. "Why don't I get to hear what's so funny?" Max said, he crossed his arms over his chest. When Everett revived himself back to sitting in his seat he had tears coming from his eyes. 

I missed this. The only person I wish could also be here, was Merrick. The group was familiar but felt empty at the same time. Merrick would never not be missed, especially at the table. 

I knew I should head back to Ryder's room and try to get more information out of him but I just wanted a few more minutes feeling like the old Harlow. I changed somehow. Was it for the better, though?