Chapter 21(Two POV'S): The Dark Assassin

It was 10 pm. We were able to escape the rebel base with the help of Everett's powers. He was able to project on me and Ryder allowing us to slip between the doors when they shut and we went for high ground near the city square.

It was pouring rain and lightning strikes every now and then. Thank God we left Max on the base.

We were in one of the destroyed buildings that used to be a full tower but had half of it blown off during the establishment's take over. We stood next to a whole in the wall and watched for signs of Imelda.

"She's coming. I know it. She will make it," Ryder said, he ran his hand through his hair. That's when we saw it. Gun fire. The thing was moving. Fast.

"That's my wife." Everett had a silly grin plastered on his face. Was that pride? Ryder stood straighter and all of us watched the dark shadow moving fast. She looked injured.

Imelda's POV

My ribs were screaming at me. The pain was like nothing I have ever experienced. The suit was holding up but not that great compared to what it could do when I was strong.

In order to make it out I was going to have to kill these guys. My brother and two others were perched in that building. He's waiting for me.

I made it to the center of the square. Lightning strikes next to me. I saw the faces of the six men who were chasing me. Big guns became smaller ones. They used all their heavy fire power trying to hunt me down.

I had to yell over the hard rain and lightning. "SO BOYS THIS HOW DO YOU WANNA GO? I CAN GIVE YOU A FIVE SECOND HEAD START IF YOU'D LIKE BUT I AM SORRY TO SAY ONLY ONE OF US IS GETTING OUT OF HERE. ME."The boys snickered. "You are the one who's gonna die bitch!" one of them shouted. Suit themselves. I charged.

The first guy that came at me tried to shoot. I became a cloud of smoke then reappeared and dislocated his shoulder. His blood curdling scream made the guys stand back. I shoved my knife into his side then I spinned him around and cut straight through his neck.

His warm blood splashed on my face. Thank God I had the mask. I didn't want to taste his blood.

The next two guys came at me. I slid under one of them and knocked him down on the knees. I didn't see the other one come at me and he cut me with a knife. A little too deep for my liking. I hissed. The pain in my ribs was pounding and my head felt like it was spinning. 

"COME ON PRINCESS!!" they shouted. Okay if that's what you'd like. I wasn't afraid to play dirty. I sliced their friend on the ground and accessed the man's nightmares. Losing his wife. So be it. I made him think she was getting cut into pieces and her intestines were being used as neck jewelry. He cried and fell to his knees. I kicked him in the head and then slit his throat.

Three left. Bring it on. I snarled at them.

They all charged at me at once and I caught all of their nightmares at once. Fear of drowning, fear of suffocating, and fear of being caught on fire. I didn't need to cut their throats. Their nightmares would kill them.

I began to walk away holding one hand to the cut on my stomach and my bruised ribs when I felt it. That's when I felt a stinging pain piercing my skin. I fell to my knees.

I looked behind me. The suffocator. He looked me in the eyes as he took his last breath and then they all were dead. I slowly stood. I couldn't go into my shadows. I couldn't use my powers... I was too weak.

I climbed the side of a platform. It must have once been used as a little bridge for people to cross over. I'm coming brother.

Harlow's POV:

She started climbing and that's when we heard it. The mutts were released. She was too weak. Imelda's head swiveled in the direction they were coming. 

"JUMP IMELDA I'LL CATCH YOU!!" Ryder had his arms stretched ready for his sister. The dogs were on her tail and then she flew. She was in mid air and then she was floating.

Ryder had her. She smiled.

"Hey brother. Who's the extra two sets of bones?" Imelda was wincing. There was a bullet in her side.

"Imelda you are injured I need to take that bullet out before it gets infected. I am going to remove it. Harlow and Everett hold an arm and a leg of hers."

Ryder flexed his hand and that's when we heard the tugging of the bullet in her skin.

She was whimpering and her head was thrown back. The sound of the bullet coming out of her side made a disgusting pull sound and then... ping. The bloodied bullet was thrown on the floor and Ryder covered her wound.

There was another deep cut on her other side. Ryder quickly rapped her and helped her stand.

"We have to get moving. The dogs are going to come for us." Everett looked worried. Not about the dogs but about Imelda. She looked at him.

"I know you," Imelda said. "How do I know you?" She looked him up and down.

Everett showed his tattoo to her. Her eyes widened. "Everett?" She had tears streaming down her face and she hugged him. The world went still for them.

Me and Ryder looked at one another. We knew what that felt like. To be with the one you loved once again.

"Come Imelda we need to get you to the base. Then we can find a way to kill our father," Ryder said, he had a grim look as he watched Imelda pull away from Everett's embrace.

"I think I can teleport us all to the base." Imelda looked at all of us.

"You are too weak sister. I don't know what will happen if you try when you're in this state." Ryder put a hand on his sister's shoulder. She winced. Their father must have done a number on her.

"Only one way to find out. Hold on to me." Everyone quickly touched a piece of her clothing and then we were enraptured in the darkness, the mutts growls being left behind.