Chapter 1: First Day in Shohoku

Genji Rei, a 16 year old high school student in Shohoku High who seems to be running late for her first day. Styling her hair into a half tie, she then grabbed a toast from the kitchen table. "I'm running late!!" She exclaimed to her mother, "I tried to wake you but you're such a heavy sleeper." Her mother replied while washing dishes in the kitchen sink.

Rei opened the fridge door, grabbing a small carton of milk, "Did Eita left already?"

"Yes, 30 minutes ago."

"That bastard." Rei cursed to herself silently, afraid for her mother to hear her words. She quickly wore her school shoes, adjusting it so it fits her foot well and then left her home, "Bye!"

Rei's POV

"Damn it! Using my bike without my permission." I'm already 20 minutes late and with my bicycle gone, I'd be a dead meat. Hunger still lurks in my stomach, I quickly ate my toast and drank the carton milk in one go. Swallowing it hard, I sprinted and yelled, "Damn it!!"

~Fast Forward~

"Class 1... Class 1..." I finally got through the campus and now I'm at the hallways, looking for my designated classroom.

"Genji Re-"

*SLAM!*

"Present!" I raised my hand in the air, I managed to arrive for the attendance but sooner than later, I knew what my state was. Students began to laugh at me and I felt embarrassed, my cheeks went pink and I slowly scratched the back of my head before letting out a nervous chuckle.

I felt something lightly hit my head, it was the teacher hitting me with a newspaper. "You're lucky you just got here in time. Next time, don't be late or I'll mark you tardy." The male teacher said in disappointment.

I apologized to him and he showed me where my seat was, "Thank you, sensei."

*DING* *DING* *DING*

Morning class finally ended and lunch was already starting. I put my notes and books back to my bag. The backpack was colored in pastel purple and it had a basketball and a half bitten white mochi keychain.

"Cute!!"

Surprised, I turned my head to the side to see a girl with a cute smile pasted on her face. "That's a really cute keychain, Genji-san." The girl was now closer to me as she bended down to adore my accessory, "T-Thanks."

"Oh, I'm sorry. My name is Akagi Haruko. You're Genji Rei, right?" This girl seemed very friendly and kind. I responded to her with a nod. "Say, do you like basketball?" I was a bit stunned from the question, she must've assumed because of the keychain.

"Oh, I actually do. I used to be a player back in junior high." Indeed I was, I love the sport very much and enjoyed playing on it as well. Every point I score and cheer I get felt nice back then but the reason for me playing in the first place, was him....

"Really? I used to play in junior high too! Genji-san, let's be friends." Captivated by her persona, I felt a bit warm from her aura. I gave her a smile and replied, "Please, call me Rei."

Later, we ate lunch with her friends inside the classroom and I was introduced to them. Yakumo, the silent girl with a bob cut hairstyle, and Matsui, the pigtailed brunette girl.

"Oh no! My brother's bentou!" Haruko exclaimed in worry as she took out a lunchbox from her bag. She told us to continue without her, since she still had to deliver the item to her brother. The others and I insisted to to come along but she declined hurriedly before heading her way out.