Chapter 9: Visit

Rei's POV

I stretched my arms and yawned from the weariness I felt. Walking through the halls, I saw Yohei and his friends waved their hands to my direction and they greeted to me one bye one. "Good morning everyone!"

"Say, I heard Hanamichi was able to play a practice match yesterday. How'd it go?" Ohkusu lightly bended from his position, indicating his anticipation to get an answer. Everyone else leaned in for the answer and I crossed my arms to tell them the story.

"Well, actually he was able to join only the last two minutes before the game ends. He did get a block from his opponent and looked very flashy!" I gleamed my eyes with excitement and theirs we're in disbelief.

"Really? Hanamichi blocked one of the senior's pass?" Noma questioned in curiosity. "There has to be a catch, Rei-chan." Nozomi said.

I frowned and sighed as I remembered the image flashing through my mind, "Sakuragi got hold of the ball for a while and he refused to pass Rukawa. He ended up slam dunking the captain's head." I shook my head in disappointment as the group laughed from the story.

It turned some heads since the laughter was loud, "That happened?! Man, I wish I could've seen it!" Yohei commented as he cackled. "As expected! Hanamichi!"

However, I felt the chill behind my spine when recalling right after that incident. Akagi-san was very angry with Sakuragi and almost ended up beating him. "I gotta go guys, there's someone I wanna talk to." I bowed down my head and ran pass through them. They waved goodbye and so did I.

Arriving at the second floor, I looked around Ayako's classroom to find her. A male student approached and asked me, "Uh, excuse me. Is there something you need?"

"Oh uhmm.. I'm looking for Ayako-san, is she here?" I asked the tall student and he turned his way to his back, "Ayako-chan! Someone's looking for you!"

"Ah! Rei-chan!" Ayako greeted me with a smile and I blushed from her pretty appearance. "G-Good morning, senpai. There's something I want to talk about with you." I asked nervously.

"Can we talk somewhere private? Senpai?"

Ayako agreed and we both went up to the rooftop since there were no students loitering in the place, and it was a good spot to have a private conversation. "Ayako-san, do you know about a student named Mitsui Hisashi?"

Her eyes widened when she heard his name, this tells me she does know something about him. But I must tell her why I am asking about it, "Mitsui-san and I used to be schoolmates back in junior high. I heard he was enrolling in Shohoku back then and that is why I came here as well. I wanted to ask some questions for him but lately I haven't seen him in a while."

Yes, I've been longing to see him to get answers. I knew him as an amazing basketball player in Takeishi Junior High who really loves to play the sport. Yet, when I met him a few years later his heart suddenly changed and despised basketball with his all.

"Rei-chan... Mitsui... He's been hospitalized."

I felt my heart dropped when I heard the news, I curled my hands into a fist and wished it wasn't critical. "W-What happened to him?!" My voice cracked a little and my body was shaking, I had no idea he was such in a state right now.

"Mitsui-san ganged up on a basketball member of our team, Miyagi Ryota. Ryota is also hospitalized and currently healing." Ayako's voice was shaking. I was a bit confused who this Miyagi was but then I suddenly remembered Kogure mentioning an absent player of the team.