Chapter 30: Check Ups

Third Person POV

The second game was about to begin, the Shohoku team was finally getting recognized as the people chattered at their arrival.

"He's huge! Man, Akagi's really tall up-close!" 

"Ah, look! It's Rukawa-kun the first year!"

"Rukawa-kun? He's so tall, he's so cool~"

Two boys glanced over at Ayako and Rei and a smile formed on their faces, "Whoa, I didn't Shohoku had two pretty managers." 

"You should ask her out!" The other whispered.

Miyagi and Hisashi heard them and they glared to let them know to back off. They quickly got the message and changed the subject, "Shohoku's players all look pretty hardcore." They anxiously said.

Kakuno High was the opponent for Shohoku's second game. Both teams were ready for the match, Hanamichi was left to sit down for the first few minutes of the game and he complained, "Hey old man! I haven't gotten in any fights! Why am I on the bench?"

"Be patient, Sakuragi Hanamichi. You'll  get your chance." Ayako scolded the redhead and he let out a 'tch' admitting defeat as he growled, the coach however sat silent.

Rei did not want to let the disrespect pass, so she lightly pinched Hanamichi's cheek and said, "How dare you call 'old man' to our coach like that? Show some respect!"

"Ouch!" He cried before rubbing his cheek. Rei noticed the crowd was increasing in number, "For a second game, there are sure a lot of people." Her attention changed when two male students sat down near the ring, one of them had shoulder-length black hair while the other had short hair. "Are those Kainan, students?" Rei thought.

Just as she wondered, a few of the people noticed them as well and said loudly, 

"It's Jin from Kainan! Jin the second year!"

"There's another guy! Who's that?" 

"And the number one rookie, Nobunaga Kiyota!" The Kainan student introduced himself. "Number one rookie?" Rei questioned.

"Even so, Kainan came here to watch. We have to get through the district finals if we're gonna face them!" Rei stated.

 "That just shows that we're shaking things up. We emerged from the Miuradai game as a dark contender." Ayako said to them.

The game had begun, and Akagi was able to touch the ball when it was thrown and pass it to Miyagi. Faced with an opponent, he passed the ball to his side and was grasped by Hisashi, and with his position, he had earned them three points right at the start.

"Yosh!! That's our Mitsui-san!!" Rei cheered with the rest of the team and crowd.