Chapter 26: In a Pinch

"Rei? Rei... Rei!" 

Snapping back to reality, Rei flinched at her seating and lifted her chin to meet Matsui's eyes who was holding a clean towel in her hand, suggesting she was offering it to her, "What are you spacing at? Here.."

"Oh, right... Thanks." Rei took the clean towel and wiped it on her sweaty face and her neck, she continued to stare at the wooden floor and she felt her hands still shaking. The first half of the game gave her a rush of adrenaline and it still was present during the break. Her teacher called the starters to gather and one by one they did. "Listen, students, you did pretty well in the first half and you will in the next. Keep your points rising steadily and harden your defense. They might be sophomores but most of them are just about the same level as you girls, don't get intimidated... Don't forget, have fun!" After giving some motivation to his students, the girls agreed in unison and went to the court when the buzz for the second half was about to start.

Yohei, who was watching from above, saw Hisashi making his way a bit closer to them to get a better view. Hanamichi noticed his arrival as well and called, "Yo, Mitchi! I didn't know you like to watch girls.  Hehehe." His sly remark made Hisashi blush and embarrassed, "I'm not!" He retorted. 

Hanamichi laughed and waved his hand to tell him it was just a joke, feeling satisfied seeing his senior react in such a way. "Mitchi?! You better not be eyeing on Aya-chan!..." Miyagi protested as he ran to Hisashi, his fists being ready to use. Hisashi, however, scoffed at him and responded with an irritated face, "Tch, as if."

Yohei was silent for a while but still kept a smile on his face before asking Hisashi, "What brings you here then?" 

"None of your business," Hisashi replied while not making eye contact with Yohei. Yohei only smirked and changed the subject, "Rei did pretty well didn't she? What can you say about her three-pointers? Mr. MVP." Yohei knew Hisashi was a sharpshooter ever since Hisashi joined the club. He was always watching the athletes practice with the gang to poke fun at their friend, Hanamichi. But they do support him still.

Rei's performance deserved some recognition from Hisashi and Yohei was anticipating an answer from him. "She said she used to be in the basketball team back in middle school, I didn't know she was this good." Yohei's last comment made Hisashi click some pieces together, though he wasn't surprised she was a former athlete.

He knew Rei must've worked her butt off to gain such skill and hearing that she was a former basketball player made sense. Slipping his hands to his pockets and not taking his eyes away from the game, "Her three points saved her team, if the point gap was still at 5, it would likely for them to lose." His comment made the two look at him with baffled eyes. 

Miyagi was also listening and added another statement, "Totally, her experience in basketball helped a lot. But the sophomores hadn't shown their abilities just yet. Do you see that girl over there? Number 4." He lifted his finger and pointed in Hoga's direction, the three boys followed its direction to see Hoga as well. 

"She's in the same class as I am and, she's the current vice-captain of the girl's basketball team." The three were now more into the game than ever, curious to see what Hoga can do in the game as well. "And they have Aya-chan too! Yes yes, they will not yield for sure." Miyagi said in his mind while nodding to confirm his thoughts.