Chapter 14: This Is Only The Beggining

Ever since the absence of Akagi, Shohoku's team has been in a pickle, especially Sakuragi's mistakes and fouls in the game. However, as the game continues, Sakuragi has slowly shown his abilities through his defense and rebounds and his unpredictable passes, allowing the game to be in Shohoku's hands. 

Sakuragi now has the ball again and everyone was expecting to pass it to Rukawa, but to Ryonan's surprise, he passed it to Kogure once again and the vice captain shoot a three pointer, closing the the score gap now.

"Wow!! Nice pass! Sakuragi!! Nice play!!" Rei stood from her seat just like everyone in her team, rooting for their players in the match. "Yosh! Only three point difference!" From 19 - 0 to 68 - 65, Shohoku has really turned the game into their favor but the future was still not set a stone.

Rei's POV

As the game continued, I saw Yohei and the others coming in from the metal doors, approaching to our direction. I stretched my arm out and so did he as we greeted each other, "Yo, Yohei!" 

"Hey."

They all gathered up behind us, and watched the game with us now. "Sakuragi is really cocky now, a few minutes ago he was stiff as a boulder." I commented and heard a chuckle from Yohei behind me, "You're right! The thought of victory is really going through his head."

"AHAHAHAHAHAHA! This is all because of ME!!" Sakuragi pompously said in the court. Not gonna lie but it is indeed because of his unpredictable moves made the team catch up but it's still irritating to hear those words, especially from Sakuragi.

As I eyed each one of the members of the game, something was off from Rukawa, his arms looked heavy and tired, and just as he was face to face with Sendoh who slipped through him, he lost his balance and fell on his bum while Sendoh scored two points for his team.

"Rukawa!?" Everyone was now worried seeing Rukawa in his state, I ran to his direction to check up on him while the others waited for news. Rukawa is a very good and skilled player but concentrating his mind and body for the 40 minute game is quite impossible, especially when defending an ace like Sendoh.

I checked on his leg that he massaged from his hands, "Rukawa-san, let me check your leg please." He nodded and pulled away his hands, as soon as he got his hands away it was now clear that he has a cramp on his right hamstring. 

I gently laid his leg flat down on the floor and gently straightened his foot.

 "He has a cramp!" 

"Because that number 11 has been defending Sendoh!!"

"Good Good Good!! We'll win for sure! Shohoku's finished."

The loud comments from the audience and the bench players on Ryonan's side was visibly getting on Rukawa's nerves, he let out a 'tch' as he eyed his leg. His calf has to be massaged at this point, "Rukawa-kun, let me massage your calf."