Chapter 29: In Awe

Rei's POV

"Med kit, water bottles, towels..." I double-checked my bags to see if everything was ready. 

"Rei-chan! It's time to go!" Eita's voice reached me from outside, "Okay okay! Love you mom, I gotta go now." I hugged my mother and she embraced me as well. "Take care now," She says with a warm smile and I couldn't help but feel happy from it, I was now ready to go and today is the 19th of May, Shohoku's first day to reach our goal, the Nationals!

"Eita-kun, faster!" I scolded my brother while he bickered back and did his best to pedal as fast as he could. He was driving my bike and I was just behind him, holding his shoulders to balance myself as I stood from the step knuts. The train was in sight and I could see the team was already there, waiting for me and the train itself to arrive.

Eita stopped as we arrived and let me off the bicycle, "Thanks, Eita. Now go or you'll miss your class!" I said to him but he seemed to stare at someone for a moment before saying his goodbye, "Yeah yeah, I'll see you later." He says before finally leaving.

I turned my attention to the group and Ayako-san was the first one to greet me as the other men followed, "Good mornin, Rei-chan. What's this? Why is your bag looking heavy?" She asks as she stared at my duffle bag, "Oh this? I just thought to bring extras of everything in case the team needs it."

"That's very thoughtful of you, Genji." Captain Akagi said before lifting the heavy duffle bag to assist me, I thanked him for it. Everyone seemed fired up for today and I was too, seeing them play gives me excitement, and especially Mitsui-san had joined this team... Mitsui... Wait, Mitsui!? I turned my head to see him and he looked as surprised as I was but I quickly looked away, "Ah! The train's here!" I said as I tried to avoid him, I am still embarrassed from the other day, I poured my feelings to him about basketball and now he knows that I idolize him is just too much for me to handle.

As the train stopped and opened its doors for us to enter, I quickly got in first and sat down with Ayako. I did my best to avoid Hisashi, at least for now but to my luck, he sat right across from where I was, facing each other, "Great," I sarcastically said in my head. 

...

After the ride to the tournament, we head to our assigned locker room and everyone readied themselves for the nearing match. As I readied some materials, I felt a tug from my shirt and I turned to see Ayako with a varsity jacket and a smile on my face, "This is for you, Rei-chan." She says happily. I was so happy to finally get a varsity jacket of my own, I always loved the design of Shohoku's jacket and I've always wanted one. 

"Thank you so much, Ayako-san! This is so cool!!" I said to her.

"Try it on, girl!" And I happily did. The black and red colors were such a great match, and I felt so welcomed by the team, even though I was officially the team's second manager, having this uniform makes it even more... Well... Official!

Soon enough, the men were finally finished changing and my eyes gleamed, "You guys look amazing!" I cheered to them and a few blushed as a response. I went to Sakuragi and teased him, "Finally got your official uniform, eh? I bet you feel all giddy." I poked his waist and he tries to stop me while scratching his head sheepishly, "Ehehehe, I'm not feeling giddy at all!" He denies when his face was written glee all over.