Chapter 27: Invitation

Third Person POV

The gang cheered for Haruko as the game went on but Rei was absent since she was at the comfort room for girls. Yakumo noticed her long absence and so did Yohei, "She's been in the restroom for a while, I should check on her." The worried girl said  and Yohei nodded in agreement.  

Passing through the long hallway, Yakumo turned right and finally got inside the restroom and was met with Rei who was staring down on the sink as her hands gripped on the ceramic counter.

Rei's POV

I wet my face with water at the running faucet on the ceramic sink, I took a towel and dried my face with it and let out a long breath right after. I thought the shaking would stop if I try to cool down first, but instead it's gotten worse. The hiatus took a toll on me, it only excites my mind and body  more to play basketball, it's like a drug that I'm addicted in. 

The memories I have when I lost the championship flashed through my head, my eyes narrowed down on the white sink and gripped on it with my hands, "Get a grip, Rei. This is only a practice game. Nothing more and nothing less."

"Rei-chan?"

The familiar voice got me to turn my gaze to see Yakumo with a worried face, "You okay?" 

"Y-Yeah, just trying to tame the adrenaline is all." I waved my hand to reassure her I was fine and she only nodded with a shy smile. Yakumo is just so adorable and sweet, she's like Haruko but shy. 

"Sensei might be looking for you." 

I hummed to her and so we both left the restroom. And as soon as we get back to the gym, sensei already asked for me to warm up. The scoreboard has got me alarmed, the sophomores are leading once again and were left behind  by ten points, if we can't take back a basket then we'll definitely lose.

I chugged on my water bottle and started to do warm ups from the back. Heads turned my way as they noticed my arrival with surprised faces, "You're already heading back in the court, Rei-chan?" Yohei asked.

"Rei!!! You gotta go back in the court and help Haruko-chan!!! I can't beat that captain so I'll leave everything to you!!!" Sakuragi ranted but was met with a punch on the back of his head by Mitsui who was annoyed by his childish cries, "Just shut up, will ya?!" 

"The captain?" I asked as it took my attention away with my warm ups. Mitsui looked over to me with a serious look, "The captain is pretty good and obviously experienced. Miyagi said before that she's the current vice captain of the girl's  basketball club, and now the freshmen are having a hard time now that you're off the court." 

"But I won't be for long." I replied to him with confidence and he gave a smirk back to which I find reassuring, he too being confident of my skills. My sensei has called for me and soon I went back to the court, I took Haruko's place and she went back to the bench to rest.