Chapter 7: Giving Up?

After hanging out with Yohei and helping Sakuragi with the basketballs last night, it was finally the day of Rei's first day as a second manager of Shohoku's basketball team. Lunch break came and Rei changed her attire with a plain white shirt with P.E. jacket on top and baggy joggers to her bottom and white rubber shoes. Rei also tied her hair into a ponytail.

She waited for Ayako outside the change room but was out of site. Rei looked at her wrist watch and sweat dropped from Ayako's tardiness. "Where could senpai be?" She looked around the area to find her senior and soon enough Ayako rushed to Rei's place.

"Rei-chan! Sorry, I'm late!" Ayako pants as she leaned her hand against the wall. "Ayako-senpai!" Rei was relieved to see Ayako but she still needed to change her clothes. "Wait a little while, I have to change. So sorry, Rei-chan!" She once again rushed to the locker room to change her outfit, Rei agreed and waited for her senior patiently.

Ayako wore a big plain pink shirt and a cycling below, also a cap to her head with a low ponytail styled hair.

Alas, the two finally rushed their way through the campus to go to the basketball court. The two green doors was nearing in sight and Ayako quickly pushed the door to the side. "Sorry everyone! We are late!!"  Ayako apologized with a smile. "Oh! The new members are already here?!" She continued.

"Hey, you are late! Ayako." Akagi, the captain basketball team commented. 

Rei saw the athletes, she first noticed Akagi who's height was the tallest among the group. 'Whoa, so tall.' She thought to herself. Next, she scanned the other members. There were a bunch of sophomores and she also quickly noticed Sakuragi and Rukawa who were able to join the team. 

"Nice to meet you! I am the basketball team's manager, Ayako, a sophomore! Nice to meet you!" Ayako introduced herself to the new members. The boys seemed to blush from her pretty appearance.

Ayako was not satisfied by the silent treatment she was given by the new people, so she rushed to their direction, "Hey hey hey. "I said nice to meet you"!! Don't you know how to say "nice to meet you" back?!" She scolded the boys one by one and finally satisfied herself when they answered her with the "Nice to meet you" from the members.

"Ah! Everyone! Meet our  second manager!" Ayako stretched her arm to Rei's direction who was now a bit stiff from nervousness. "Oh uhh... Hello everyone! My name is Genji Rei, I am Ayako's assistant!" She bowed her head down and sweats nervously, she wasn't mentally prepared to introduce herself with the crowd but what was done was done.

Ayako gently grasped Rei's shoulders and smiled to the others, "Isn't she a cutie?" She giggled. Rei's face was pink as she felt embarrassment from her senior's comment, "A-Ayako-san, stop teasing." 

"Okayy~" Ayako patted Rei's head gently. Rei turned her gaze to the windows below and saw Yohei with his friends, watching the basketball team. Yohei also saw Rei in her current state, "Oh! It's Rei-chan!" He waved his hand as Rei and he met eye to eye, she also waved back to him.

"Oooh!! Rei! I did not know you are the assistant manager of the basketball team!!" Sakuragi yelled loudly which turned everyone's heads to him. "You know Sakuragi Hanamichi?" Ayako asked in curiosity. Rei replied shakily, "Y-Yeah."