Chapter 12: Practice Match

Sitting next to Ayako-san and Kakuta-san. Everyone was anticipating for the game to start as the players prepared their formation on court.

The game's referee threw the ball up followed by Akagi's ang Uozumi's competitive jump to take the ball. "TIP OFF!!"

"It's started!" Sakuragi said in excitement and so was I, "It has begun!!" Our team got the ball and the players ran to shoot their point.

"That was a pretty close tip off, last year Akagi would win for sure..." I turned my head to heard Kakuta-san speaking, "...This means Uozumi's improved." He continued.

I understood how Uozumi is now a threat to the team, his height and growth to the sport would definitely add an obstacle for the team.

"Well, come! Shohoku!" Uozumi's roar made some of Shohoku's players intimidated. This enemy has some spirit. "King of the Apes is sure in high spirits! You just wait, I'll defeat you!" Sakuragi was pretty fired up as well, he really thinks he can defeat a senior with his novice knowledge. But who knows, he might be able to do such a thing.

"Nice speech!!!" Sakuragi and I looked behind seeing Yohei and the others at the railings, pestering their friend. "He's so tall, like a giant!" 

"He looks like a pro!" The grouped chattered.

Yasuda got the ball but was quickly stolen from Ryonan's team, surprising us from his speed. I bit my lip in worry, our defense is very weak but we do have Rukawa-kun and Akagi-senpai in the game.

"Sendoh!" I said in surprise, seeing Sendoh with the ball in hand and also face to face with Rukawa-kun who is defending him. He quickly passed the ball to his teammate, and jumped shot, earning them the first point.

The bench side of the opposing team and the watchers cheered when the enemy scored. This Sendoh only passed the ball to his teammate and everyone was hyped up, what a terrifying player.

The ball was now in our captain's hands but is defended by the opposing team's captain. Akagi passes the ball to Kogure-san and it made us stood up from our seat, "Good! Shoot!! Glasses, your open!" Sakuragi yelled as he pointed his finger to Kogure.

But as soon Kogure-san shoots the ball, it was quickly blocked from Uozumi who quickly ran to his direction. The crowd went wild and was amazed by Ryonan's center. Rukawa took the ball and tried to save the score yet was block once again by Uozumi.

"A-Amazing... Uozumi's blocks are hard to evade!" My hands were curling into fists and eyes locked on the game. Astonished by Uozomi's skills, I still wanted for my team to make a score.

"It's not over yet!" I exclaimed to the team and Yasuda passed the ball to Akagi's direction. I gritted my teeth, and watched Akagi-senpai shooting a score but as soon as the ball left his hands, Uozumi was already blocking in front of him and slapped the ball away.

"Gori!!!" Sakuragi was in disbelief and so was everyobody on our side, aside from Ryonan's team who are cheering and exhilarated from the consecutive blocks of their center.

"This is not good gramps!!" Sakuragi was now shaking Anzai-sensei, trying to convince him to let him play. Ayako tried to stop Sakuragi from his unmannerly behavior to the sensei, "How can you call him gramps! You have to say Anzai-sensei!!"

"We're not doing very well!! Ayako-san!!" Sakuragi stopped as he talked to Ayako who was now confused, "How come you're so well-mannered in front of me...?"

"DEFENSE! DEFENSE! DEFENSE"

The gym was filled with cheers from the opposing team, I worried from the morale they we're giving to the Ryonan's team. "This type of atmosphere is not good for us... Because Uozumi block three shots in a row, increasing Ryonan's morale." Kakuta said in worry.

"I worry the same thing, senpai." We looked to each other eye to eye, face's worried but as we turned our heads to the front, Sakuragi was already marching to the court saying, "Good! It's time for me the secret weapon, Sakuragi to play! Rukawa! I'll sub you out!" 

We all got frantic and stood from our seat. Stopping from his tracks, Ayako and I grabbed Sakuragi's arms, and the other pushed him to go back on his seat. "What are you talking about?! The game just started two minutes ago!!" Ayako scolded with worry.

"Sit down, Sakuragi!" Pulling him away from the court, Kakuta, Ishii and Kawata also begged Sakuragi to stop. "You guys can't lose to the king of apes.. Damn!! Go for it! You have work extremely hard!!"

Sakuragi's words was pretty real this time, it made me realize how much he really does not want to sit back and watch as the team loses. And I can't sit back and just stay silent either.

Once Sakuragi was calmed down a little by Ayako, the rest of the bench sitters and I cheered our hearts out to give morale for our team, "Yasuda! Pass the ball and get rid of him!" Kakuta yelled.

"Attack Attack!!" Sasaoka and I said in unison.

Yasuda passed the ball to Rukawa and everyone was baffled and curious if he was gonna do a one on one to Uozumi but just like every other game, surprises will always uncover as Sendoh stole the pass away from Rukawa.

Running towards the hoop, Sendoh jumped with his arms stretched up with the ball in hand, "He's shooting!" 

"Stop him!! Rukawa!!" Akagi exclaimed as he ran to defend. Rukawa blocked Sendoh's path but to everyone was dumbfounded when Sendoh swiftly passes the ball to his teammate who was open to do a lay up, and shots a score for Ryonan.

The spectators went wild except us in the Shohoku team, "Damn... They're in high spirits..!!" Kakuta-senpai commented. 

I worried more at this point, somehow we need to t urn the tide against them. "This is where we start winning!! Listen up! We have to win by 30 points!" Our heads turned to see Taoka-sensei, Ryonan's coach, demanded a 30 point win. What an arrogant attitude for a coach.

"Uh.. Ayako-san." I realized Sakuragi was no longer on his seat and pointed it out to Ayako, we found him right behind Taoka-sensei, looming from his back.

"Shut up!!" Before we even knew it, Sakuragi stabbed Taoka's rear with his fingers.