Chapter 28: Alone in the Gym

THIRD PERSON POV

The sound of faint thudding echoed through, catching Hisashi's attention as he was about to enter the gym. He slid the door open to find Rei passing the basketball to the floor back to her grasp. She stopped when she noticed her senior came in, "Mitsui-san, good morning." she said in a welcoming tone and he greeted back.

"Genji-san," Hisashi called which made Rei hum in response. "Yesterday's match was interesting. I believe you are aware of how good you are in this game," he pauses for a moment, "Why didn't you join the girl's basketball team?" Rei was not surprised to hear this question, she thought for a moment. Hisashi however realized how personal his question was, "Sorry, I didn't mean to ask such a personal question. It's oka-." 

He was cut off when Rei said, "It's alright, I'll tell ya." She took a deep breath and gathered the courage to confess, "I believe you already know that I joined the basketball team because I was inspired when I saw you play ball during your championship. But that was only half the truth." Rei lifted her head, facing the ring, "The day we first met, when you caught me playing with the basketball in the empty gym, just like this... You gave me the courage to do the one thing I love the most. You became someone I idolized, someone I look up to." 

Her eyes became gloomy for a moment as she remembers, "So I joined the team, did my best, I was happy. But when the championship came during my senior years back in junior high, we met again." Her eyes became stern, "You told me things that had hurt me, and I lost that game." 

"I'm sorry."

"Though I blamed you for everything, it was still my fault that I was too much in a shock that I lost focus during that match. My teammates hated me for that and I promised myself to not enter the basketball team and play because of the regret." They were silent for a while, Hisashi understood her pain and felt guilty that he was a benefactor of her state of mind before. 

Rei continues, "I became the assistant for this team because deep down, I still crave it. And when you came back to join the team, moving from the past to continue to do what you are passionate about, I couldn't stay mad because I was happy for you. You came back and gave me hope again. I don't want to join their team now, because I want to do my best to support you and this team to reach the Nationals."

Hisashi was flustered and felt a warmth coming from Rei. His eyes were gleaming just like Rei's when she spoke her last few words. Rei realized how much she confessed and the embarrassment started to eat her. Her cheeks became flushed with pink and quickly passed her ball to Hisashi to take his gaze away, "S-So yeah! I am still the assistant of this team and I have responsibilities, which reminds me! I have some stuff to unpack at the back, bye!" 

"Sure.." He replies as he let her be with her work. A few members arrived at the gym, which made the silence finally disappear. Hisashi could not help but think of her words for a while, whilst Rei was trying to occupy her mind from the labor.

~~~

Wassup yall! I took a lot of time during my hiatus, I believe it's been more than just a month since I last published my chapters. I was focusing on my class since it was the finals and I've finally graduated from Senior High to College. I can't keep promises to update regularly but I will still do my best to do it. 

I have a few more fanfiction that I am currently working with and I do get productive if only I don't get the "Writer's Block" problem, which happens often. I may get a lot busier in my personal life but that doesn't mean it'll stop me from writing fanfics.

Thank you so much for continuing to read my fanfic, it means a lot to me even if the reads are just a few. See you in the next chapters!