Chapter 21: Injury

As Kogure began to narrate his experience when watching Mitsui's competition when they were in middle school, Rei pictured the images that burned in her mind. She too was there to witness his play and his hunger for victory even when they are in the edge of defeat. 

But even the odds was against them, Mitsui was able to score a three point for his team before the countdown had reached to zero, earning him the title of MVP. And that year, Takeishi Middle School conquered the whole country.

Mitsui was irritated hearing his past that was shared by Kogure to the others, so lashed out and confronted him, "Stop it, Kogure! Don't talk about the past! Or else I'll kill you too! Kogure!" 

Sakuragi quickly knocked him out when he hit his head with a hand chop and then wrap his arm around his neck to prevent him intervening the story, "Keep going, glasses! What happened next?" Sakuragi said.

Kogure nodded and continued his story, "After that match of his, he was well received by everyone and when it was time for high school, I applied to join the basketball club only to find Mitsui himself, also joining in the same club. His friends told that Mitsui rejected invitations from famous schools such as Kainan, Shoyo and Ryonan but went to Shohoku instead."

Rei was surprised to hear this, what was the reason Hisashi had declined such offers? She kept silent and listened more to Kogure's story. 

"Soon enough, us freshmen back then was introduced to the club, Akagi was there as well of course. Everyone had eyes on Akagi, amazed by his height and all when he introduced himself. And soon when it was Mitsui's turn, everyone was also murmuring stuff about him because of his latest achievement before.

And as soon as he finished his self introduction to the team, he said this... "My goal is to lead Shohoku to victory... In the national Championship and become Japan's number 1..."

Everyone was in shock to hear such a thing, who would've thought that Mitsui had such a goal in his mind. 

..."Coach Anzai ordered us to have a match, only us freshmen against each other to see our skills. I was grouped with Mitsui and Akagi was at the opponents where Mitsui's friends where also at his side. Mitsui had even the guts to say that they'll never beat him and they will see the difference between a genius and normal people..."

"What genius?!" Sakuragi ranted.

"He's just like you... calling yourself genius." Ryota scoffed,

"He doesn't even have the skill." Rukawa insulted Sakuragi.

Kogure chuckled a little at his comrades before continuing his story, "At first, our team were winning because of Mitsui's skills and... Akagi at the time didn't have good basic skills, he often would let the enemy slip and did kick the ball away from him once when he tried to catch it-"

"He kicked the ball!!" Sakuragi exclaimed.