Chapter 11: Shohoku's Secret Weapon?!!

Before the match began, we went to the locker room to  announce the first five players for  the game. I was handling the uniforms that are hanging around my arms. 

"Okay! Now to announce the list of starters!" Ayako said to the team who are lining up in two rows. "And give out uniforms." I added.

Coach will be the one to choose and announce the starter players for the match, personally I think the seniors will have to go first, it is common sense to do that after all. 

I looked to Sakuragi who was excited to get his uniform and I bet he is also thinking he'd get in the first half. But Sakuragi-kun is still a novice, sorry Sakuragi.

The coach began to announce the starter players and the first one to be called was Akagi-san, "Center, Akagi-kun, number 4." The coach said while reading his clipboard.

"Yes!" Akagi-san went to my direction and Ayako-san took the uniform from my arm and handed it to him. It is no surprise he would be number 4 though, he is the captain after all. 

"Point guard, Yasuda-kun, number 6. Second guard, Shiozaki-kun, number 8." 

"Do your best! Yasuda! Shio-kun!" Ayako-san cheered to the boys and handed them the uniforms. Yasuda's face was teary and happy. 

"Raise up your spirit! We will rely on you two to control the match's tempo!! Yasuda!! Shiozaki!!" Akagi encouraged the two and they answered back with determination, "Yes!!"

"Now for the forwards..." Coach Anzai looked at his clipboard once again before rising his head to their level, "Small forward, Kogure-kun, number 5." I handed the uniform to Kogure-san, it is as I expected, he is the vice captain after all.

Power forward huh? I guess the next one is the last one, I wonder who could it be. I looked over to Sakuragi's direction, 'He's still a novice, probably best not to pick him yet.' I though to myself. I  guess the best pick would be...

"Power forward...... Rukawa-kun, number 10." 

I got shot by amazement and so did the others, "No wonder it's Rukawa..."

"Just arrived in highschool and immediately became a starter...!! He really is different from us..." Ishii complied.

Handing him the last uniform in my hand, Ayako cheered him with encouragement, "Do your best Rukawa!!"

"Yosh! I'll hand the other uniforms for the rest!" I turned my way to the baggage but I immediately stopped as I saw Sakuragi in rage and jumped behind the coach's back.

"Why wasn't I selected?! What is this all about?!" Sakuragi began to squish the coach round double chin and everyone in the room was shocked and worried.

Akagi-san quickly went to the scene and stopped Sakuragi's actions, "You idiot!! You only learned basketball for two or three days, how can you be chosen this soon?!! You're too simple-minded!!"