Chapter 22: Steamed Buns

Rei's POV

Laying down on the white sheets and smelling the scent of bleach, I looked at the window beside me and wondered how the team's training is going.

Today is Sunday and the basketball team are lucky to get to use the school's gym to practice while I'm here in the hospital bed. I am not alone though, Eita while mother was out buying stuff to help treat my injured back.

"Good morning Rei-chan! You have a visitor." A female nurse came in and it took my attention of the idea who was visiting me. As the woman came in, Haruko followed in wearing a a cute knee dress and a jacket that was as long as the dress she was wearing. Her arms was hugging a basket were goods were seen inside them.

"Haruko-chan!" I sat up quickly only to fill a sting behind me, "Rei! Lay back down!" Eita complained in concern. I abided his order and slowly pressed my back against the sheets while my brother supported my back when doing so. I wasn't completely lying down straight since the bed was slanted at an angle.

"Rei-chan, good morning!" Haruko had a warm smile and I couldn't help but feel more relaxed than before. The nurse left and Haruko sat down on a seat near beside me while Eita rummaged through the basket that Haruko had gifted me.

"How are you, Rei-chan" Haruko asked.

"I'm doing fine, nothing serious here."

Eita took a granola bar and stuffed it in his mouth before sitting down on his seat at the other side beside me, "The doctor said she had no serious injuries but she still needs to be here for a a few days." Eita muffled his words with the food he ate.

I hissed at his unmannered state and he took the hostile message and ate slowly, "My goodness, you eat like a toddler!" I sighed at the thought.

I noticed Haruko's worry but I gave her a reassuring smile not to worry, "Don't worry Haruko-san, I'll be back before the preliminaries start!"

"Really? That's a relief!"

"Hmm, Ah! Thanks for the goods Haruko, I'll make sure to eat them before my brother does!" I sneered at his direction as I received an expected backlash from him, "Oi sis!"

I heard Haruko giggle then she took the basket at the table before putting down on my lap. I was confused as to why she had done this but she starts pointing at a specific treat. A paper note was taped at the chocolate bar and I took it out and read it's contents.

Hey Rei! We all hope you'll get well soon!

I blinked at the note and felt warm inside, this basket came from everyone in the team. So thoughtful of them to give me a gift. "Ah! By the way, each treat and beverage came from a single member!" Haruko reminded me and then points at the water bottle inside the basket that had toppled down at the edge.

"That one was from Rukawa-kun." I saw her face going pink and an idea came to mind, "Rukawa Kaede huh?" I took the water bottle and teasingly waved it to her face, "If you want it you can have it~"

Her eyes went heart and her hands reached for the object slowly, but she quickly turned her face away and covered her face, "Rei-chan! I can't!! It's for you!"

"Hahahaha! I'm just kidding!" I felt bad for teasing her like this so I tried to change the subject by asking who's treat and beverage was from. She happily obliged and did so. Two steamed buns were from Ayako, two instant ramen from Akagi and Kogure, chips were from Shiozaki and Yasuda, two liter carton juice was from Kawata and Ishii. Sasaoka and Kakuta gave a box of macaroons.