Beauty

Lin slammed the door of the little apartment in the centre of Republic City, locking her mother inside. "I CANT BELIEVE YOU LET HER GOT AWAY WITH IT, YOU CANT COVER THIS UP" "Lin we talked about this, I dont want to argue" "WE DIDNT TALK ABOUT ANYTHING, YOU JUST RIPPED THE ARREST REPORT AND PRETENDED IT WAS OKAY" "WHAT DID YOU EXCEPT ME TO DO LIN? WHAT? IM THE CHIEF OF THE POLICE I CANT ARREST MY DAUGHTER"
"SHE WAS HELPING SOME DIRTY THIEVES" "ITS NOT LIKE SHE KILLED SOMEONE OR PUT SOMEONES LIFE IN DANGER" "OH SORRY, LETS SAY TO ALL THE THIEVES THAT YOU ARRESTED THAT THEY WERE NOT THAT BAD!" Toph sighed and slipped on the couch "Lin...she knows that what she did was wrong, thats the important thing" "ITS NOT GOOD FOR HER SHELL RUIN HER LIFE" "IF SHE WAS IN JAIL OR IN A TRIAL IT WOULD BE DIFFERENT? IF I ARRESTED HER I WOULD RUINED HER LIFE AND SHE WOULDNT LEARN THAT WHAT SHE DID WAS WRONG, I KNOW WHATS BEST FOR HER, IM HER MOTHER FOR SPIRITS SAKE" "THEN YOURE A TERRIBLE MOTHER" silence fell in the room, Toph placed her hands on her face "like I didnt already know that...Lin, Im trying my best, I always have..." she got up and looked at her daughter in the eyes, she picked her hand and began rubbing it with her tumb "can you trust me for this time? Do it for Su, I know you love eachother after all...and I know that you love me after all"  the girl pulled away  "DONT TOUCH M-" Lin suddenly winced in pain, making her moms eyes go wide "I knew that I shouldve brought you to Katara-" "Its nothing she just-" Toph grabbed her arm and brought her to the door "I SAID DONT TOUCH ME" suddenly her bandage started to get red "shut up, I need to get you to Air Temple Island" Lin sighed and followed her mother.

The trip on the ferry wasnt one of the best theyve had together, but Toph didnt care if she continued glaring at her, this wasnt just some wound and she knew it...she was so angry, she knew that Katara wouldve take care and f ut but Lin was just so stubborn sometimes...and the fact that she was stubborn like herself made her even more angry...but besides this, they were finally arrived, Lin knocked at the door, her kother still holding tight her arm, Tenzin opened "Oh Hi Lin-" Toph moved the boy out of her way "shut Twinkle Toes junior, wheres your mom?" "I- um, shes in the healing hut with some acolytes" "um thanks, sorry for-" Lin couldn't finish the sentence that she was already in the healing hut, Katara immediately got when she saw them "Hi Toph- Spirits what happened to-"  "there no time sweetness I need you to give a look at her face, she got hit by a piece of metal" "sit down Linny" Lin sat on the little wooden chair "Lin...Im going to remove the bandage, and its gonna hurt, you ready?" Lin nodded, Katara looked at Toph "go ahead" said she, Katara carefully removed the bandages on Lins cheek,  a weak whimper left Lins mouth, her teeth tight, "oh Raava..." said Katara in a whisper, she bent the blue fluid on her cheek, Lin winced in pain, after at least 30 minutes she placed new bindings on her face and without saying anything got out of the room with Toph with her, Lin looked down at her feet, her armor, at her hands...she felt guilty...she would just throw her sister in jail without thinking...it wouldve been for like 2 months but still...she heard her aunt and her mother talking through the door.
"so? how long is going to take to heal?"
"I...I think its gonna last for a while, theyre really deep cuts, I- I think its gonna leave a scar...a pretty big one"
before Toph could answer anything, Lin rushed trought the door and locked herself in the bathroom, she looked at the mirror, at her face...at her dark circles for the night shifts...and the bindings on her cheek, she was going to be a monster...she heard knocking from the door "Lin, youve been inside for almost an hour, whats wrong?" Tenzin was outside...she pressed her foot on the ground...her mother and Katara were also there...she has been staring at her reflection for an hour!? she didnt answered "Lin..." he heard sniffs from the door "...Lin? Are you...are you crying?" still no answer, then Toph stepped near the door "Lin, I have to shift with Officer Jianzhu at work, get out, I dont want to leave you here" nobody talked, only sniffs and weak whimpers coming were coming from the door, Toph sighed and looked at Katara who tried to make her get out "sweetie, Im auntie Katara, dont worry In gonna heal all the thing thats on youre face and youll be perfect" still no answer from the girl, "Lin...how bad can it be? I mean there a lot of people that have horrble signs on their face and theyre happy! Monks said that happines is the key of-" Toph moved aside Tenzin and began talking "come in Lin its just a little scar on the cheek theres no need to be all this sensitive I raised you better than this"
Katara tried to talk when Aang who was walking nearby asked his wife what was happening...he knocked at the door "Linny"
Linny... Lin loved the nickname that Sokka gave her as a kid...he was always in the south pole  and didnt get to see him anymore.
"Linny can you hear me?"
Aang heard a weak whisper "yeah"
"Good, would you let me in? Just to talk together, as a family"
family another of the words that Lin loved, she slowly opened the door...just a little for Aang to come in, "give us sometime alone" breathed Aang to Katara that said to the others to leave.
Aang stepped in the little room...Lin was aitting on the ground, her face wer with tears, she quickly wiped them out and managed to got up "calm down, Im not sone kind of Official Commander, you can sit..." he sat in front of her on the floor "see? im sitting as well" she weakly smiled looking down "Linny...wanna tell me whats wrong?" a loving smile on Aangs features, Lin frowned...a tear escaping her eye "im going to be so ugly...and- and...I dont want scars on my face- but I shouldve known when i decided to be a cop, Im so dumb"
"Lin..." he picked up her chin to make her look in his eyes "...beauty is an illusion...nobody sees it the same way" he got up, she did as well
"look in the mirror" said he
"look at these beautiful dark hair, you got them from your mom, and your green eyes...look how perfect you are, one scar doesnt define you"   "itll always remember me about..."  Aang knew what she meant... "this experience will make you stronger than ever, and itll made you and Su grow more closer than youve ever been, all things have a good side Linny, also...sometimes life doesnt go as we planned but it can be fun to figure how it turns out...dont you think so?"
she hugged him tightly, he hugged as well
once she pulled away, she saw her reflection in the mirror, Aang placed his hands on her shoulders "plus, I think we both know that Firelord Zuko would not have all of his fanclubs if he didnt have his scar"
she chuckled and wiped away her tears from her face "thanks uncle..."
"dont mention it Linny" he placed a kiss on her head.
present day
Lin was at Zhu-lis and Varricks wedding when Korra made her way near the chief "Hi Lin, you seem less cranky than usual"
"Im just happy that everything with Kuvira turned out fine at the end"
"yeah, sometimes life doesnt go as we planned but it can be fun to figure how it turns out, right?"
Lin froze "what did you just said?"
"um just that sometimes life doesnt go as we planned but it can be fun to figure how it turns out..."
"right, I suppose it is" she said weakly smiling

A/N: I enjoyed writing this, I love to think abt the relationship between Lin and Aang...little headcanon: the obly person that could touch Lins scar was only Aang...later Kya could, but I feel like Lin feels uncomfortable with people touching her scar, Hope u enjoyed this :))