02 - two

══*

══*.·:·.☽✧ ✦ ✧☾.·:·.*══

( I'm leaving Grace out of the story, never really liked her )

Being the second oldest was never easy. Arthur acted like the leader of the family but really wasn't. Esther has been taking care of her siblings way before their father had left. Him being a gambling drunk wasn't helping anyone.

"Polly! Esther!" She heard Finn scream. Her eyes widened and in seconds she was downstairs. Finn threw himself at Esthers legs and didn't let go. "Finny, what's the matter?" She asked. Finn was crying. "Arthur-" he cried again.

Esther picked the mess of a kid up and walked through the big doors right into the empty betting shop. There she saw it, Arther slumped into a chair, bloody and beaten black and blue.

She sat the kid down and just stared at her brother. "What in the name of god happened to you?" Polly had just arrived in the room as she threw herself at the injured man "Some copper" he breathed.

"I'm calling a family meeting in fifteen minutes" Esther answered, making her way to the phone.

⌞ •°•❀•°• ⌟

Tommy arrived ten minutes after Esther had called. He was too intimidated to not come. "Now that everyone is here, Arthur what happened to ya?" Esther began. Arthur held some ice to his bruised eye and snickered "Some copper, name's Campbell, beat me up. Said Winston Churchill sent him because of national interest. Some robbery happened, I didn't know nothin' about it"

Esther knew, the guns. She eyed her younger brother. "Talked about how the IRA was involved" he finished. John threw a fist on the table "Yeah but we ain't IRA. We bloody fought for the King" he yelled. Esther raised her hand "Yeah, alright" she tried to calm him.

"Does anyone know about the robbery?" Polly asked, sipping her tea. "Esther?" She tried again, eyeing her. Ester threw Thomas an angry look, she couldn't rat him out. "No, I don't" she answered.

"This family does everything open. You have nothing more to say to this meeting, Thomas?" Tommy shook his head. "No, nothing that's woman's business" Esther rolled her eyes. "This whole bloody business was woman's business when you boys were away at war. What changed?" She spat. Tommy sighed "We came back"

⌞ •°•❀•°• ⌟

"Come on let me help ya" Esther offered as Arthur tried to. "I'm going to kill'em" she cursed as she wiped the blood off of her brothers face. "Calm down, Es. M' fine" he chuckled.

Esther didn't feel like laughing. She stood, almost pushing the chair she had just set on over.
She wasn't going to let this asshole of a man come into their territory and beat her brother because of some guns that went missing.

"Esther" he tried again, grabbing her arm. "No Arthur, no one treats my siblings like this" she growled. She grabbed his gun, tucking it in her dress pants and started to walk away. Arthur held her, pulling her back "You don't have to do this. I'm your big brother" he pleaded, feeling embarrassed.