08 - eight

══*

══*.·:·.☽✧    ✦    ✧☾.·:·.*══

The time moved slow, Esther stopped counting how often the black haired nurse walked passed her after two hours. Polly had fallen asleep next to her and Esme sat across from them with John leaning on her shoulder, his eyes closed.

Esther couldn't live without Irene, she was the one person she could bare herself to. She was the only one who knew her deepest secrets, her darkest feelings. She closed her eyes for a second.

"Come on, you have to speak to me!" Irene's quiet voice rang in Esther's ears. The girls voice rang like an alarm. "I can't help you if-"My father left" Esther almost whispered. Irene's eyes grew soft, her brows furrowing together in empathy.

"Oh, god. Esther, I'm so-"I was the one who fought with him. i ruined everything. I kicked him out."

two hours ago

"You don't get to speak to me like that! I'm the reason you're even breathing, you ungrateful brat!" he slured, his body swaying as he held himself steady at the edge of the kitchen table. "You know what? I wish i wasn't." Arthur grabbed Esther's shoulder lightly, reassuring her. "Don't say that" Arthur whispered.

Esther looked at her brother on the floor, he held his bright red cheek. She helped him up, pushing Tommy behind her. He was much taller than her but her anger made her the tallest in the room.

She grasped John's arm and pushed him further behind herself. Ada stood between Tommy and John, her arms slung over Esthers torso, her head pressed against her back and eyes closed.

"You'll never get to hurt anyone of us ever again." She spoke, her voice cracked here and there, tears made their way down her pale face and she had to sniff a few times but she stood her ground. She didn't back down, she would protect her siblings with her life.

"Get out!" she spoke. The man infront of her only chuckled. "What?" he tilted his head, drunk eyes trying to look at her. "You heard me." she took a breath.

"Get out, now."

Esther opened her eyes as she felt someone sitting themselves down next to her. "What happened?" Tommy asked. Esther shook her head, she couldn't tell him. Tommy couldn't know how she layed there in the dirt begging this piece of shit to spare Irene's life. "Esther, you need to tell me what happened."

She couldn't speak, the pain stuck in her throat like a barrier. Her lips curled into a frown as she closed her eyes. A faint image of Irene in her bloody hands shone in the darkness.

"Campbell" she whispered. Tommy held a cigarette out for her, she gladly took it. "He said something about having to teach us a lesson." Tommy huffed and took back the cigarette. Esther wiped the dried tears and took a breath. "He wants the guns, Tommy."

He nodded and puffed out some smoke. "I'm trying to figure th-"We won't give in" Esther interrupted him. Her eyes grew uncomfortably cold, as she flexed her jaw. "He fucked with the wrong people, Tommy." He smirked slightly. "God fucking right" he agreed.

"Esther Shelby" a man in a white robe spoke. Polly woke along with Esme and John. "About the woman you brought in" Esther stood, Tommy right next to her. "Yes?"

He took a look at the paper he held in his hands "I can assure you, she's alive." Esther sighed in relief, Polly rubbed her arm. "That's good." She whispered.
"She lost a lot of blood, so she'll be out for a while." He stopped for a moment. "It's good you didn't pull the knife out, she would've bled out otherwise." Esther nodded. "We have to wait for her to wake up and then look further, but the good thing is that she is alive." Tommy patted her shoulder.

"I advise you all to go back home and wash up, she'll be out for a while." Polly agreed and pulled Esther along to the exit. "Let's draw you a warm bath and get you something to eat, mh?" Esther pulled away and took a breath, looking up at the foggy sky. "I have one more thing to do, i'll meet you back home"

Polly wanted to protest but Tommy stopped her. "I'll come with you" he said. Esther only shrugged her shoulders.

"Fine by me"

⌞  •°•☽ ☾•°• ⌟

There she was, in front of the police station. More like a clown house, in her opinion. Tommy had to chuckle, it was the absolute opposite Campbell was expecting.

Esther knew that too. He expected her to hide away, to cower like a sewer rat, but she won't. Esther Shelby won't.

She walked inside, the police officers at the front desk didn't move. The sight of Tommy Shelby with his blood soaked older sister only frightened the men. "Hello there, officer Davies" she read off of his name tag. "Hello, Miss Shelby" he almost whispered.
"Could you spare me a piece of paper and a pen, by any chance?" She leaned her head to the side, a unsettling smile on her tired face.

"Sure" he whispered back.

Dear Chester,

Your little stunt tonight fueled something within me, something so dark and destructive, the brightest kind of anger.
Trying to kill my best friend wasn't the brightest idea, i must say but i'll comply.
The game is on, Chester.
You don't fuck with us Shelby's.

sincerely,
The Peaky Blinders ;)

══*.·:·.☽✧    ✦    ✧☾.·:·.*══

Hi there! A lot happened to me, my life got turned upside down but stuff calmed down and i'm back, i hope u're still up for this story :) 🦋