29 - twenty nine

══*.·:·.☽✧ ✦ ✧☾.·:·.*══

"This needs to be a bit tighter." Marianne complained to her maid she pinched at Esthers dress. "There's too much fabric." Esther still had her arms in the air, just as her sister in law instructed her to. "I'll tighten it up in no time, Miss Shelby." She only nodded and gave the maid a small smile. "Thank you, Mary." Marianne closed the door behind her maid and lit herself a cigarette.

"I knew you'd look good in that dress." Esther nodded and took her offer to light her cigarette as well. She sat down on the bed in the master bedroom and looked at her sister in law. "You picked it, so." Marianne nodded with a small chuckle. "We both know who has the better fashion sense, Esther.-"Call me, Es." Marianne gave her small smile and took a drag of her cigarette. "Es." she paused, sitting down on the little chair in front of the bed.

"I feel like we've gotten off of the wrong foot, Marianne." Marianne nodded and took a deep breath. "I didn't mean that you're not a Blinder." she paused and thought of what to say. "I felt like you should've had a choise of what you want to do and what not to. I didn't know, that you were never forced to do the dirty work." 

Esther nodded and brought a leg up to her chest as she took another drag of her cigarette. "Tom never talks about the past, what happened to your parents and why you all are how you are." Marianne looked at her and waited, waited for Esther to jump over her shadow and let her in.

"Life was hard, has always been." she started, Marianne kept quiet, wanting to understand the complicated family she married into. 

"Finn was just a baby when mom died. She took her life, leaving us behind.

Dad was a drunk afterwards, never the same man again. Polly had her own issues back then, her kids were taken and never given back.

Arthur was the oldest but never one to take the lead.

I dropped out of school, took on a job at the local market. I brought some money home, enough to feed them. I was barely a teenager when i took care of my siblings.

I'd make them food, help with homework, change diapers, cure them when they were sick, be their shoulder to cry on.

The bond that we share is far more than what normal siblings have. I cared for them like they were my own. They were my kids, my responsibility.

I was their mother when mine couldn't be."

Marianne wiped the tears off of her face as she gave her sister in law a smile.

"You're the most incredible woman i have ever had the pleasure of meeting, Esther."

⌞ •°•❀•°• ⌟