07 - seven

═══*

═══*.·:·.☽✧    ✦    ✧☾.·:·.*═══

The music was loud and the mood was nice. Aunt Polly enjoyed herself while dancing, it made Esther smile. John had started to like his bride, Esme was a pretty woman.

"What? No! I'm not marrying anyone!" John yelled, his chest heaving in anger. Esther calmed down, the thought of her having to marry someone she didn't know left her head at once.

"Listen- I have already betrothed you. So if you back out now there's going to be one fucking mighty war breaking out here that's going to make the Somme- It's going to make the Somme look like a fucking tea party" Tommy spoke as he held his brothers head in between his hands.

Ada was staggering around, anger towards Tommy visible. "I think that's enough for you" Thomas spoke as he took the drink Ada had out of her hand.
She mumbled curse words as he pushed her towards Polly. "Take her home, will you." He demanded more than he asked.

⌞  •°•❀•°• ⌟

Esther made her way into the Garrison as soon as the party was over, she wouldn't be able to sleep anyways. The night sky was too clear for her, the smoked up bar filled with smelly gross men was a much nicer place.

"Esther! Where's Esther Shelby?" The voice of a boy she didn't know filled the bar. The chattering and clinking stopped when the boy shouted.
"I'm here. What do you want?" She asked, slightly irritated.

"Hello, Miss Shelby. Your brother payed me to bring you a message." She crouched down to his size, he was barely twelve if even.
"What is it?" He opened his mouth to speak. "He said, come home, It's time for Ada" she blinked a few times before standing up right and standing there, frozen.

Ada.
Ada's child.
Her sister is giving birth.

Esther gently pushed the kid out of her way and made her way out of the garrison. She walked, then she jogged and then she sprinted with all she had. Down the streets as fast as her feet took her.

Suddenly her foot caught onto something. Esther's body slammed to the ground with such might that she couldn't believe how hard her head hit the ground.

Her vision was a bit blurry, her mind was spinning.

"Who do we have here" she knew that voice.

Campbell

Esther's head was spinning, her eyes trying to find the bitch of a man. "E-Esther" she heard. A frail, feminine voice reached her ears.
Her eyes widened as she struggled against the man who held her to the ground.

Irene

"No!" She wringed out. Campbell held Irene's face in his hand, thumb stroking her cheek. "Wouldn't it be a shame if Miss Thompson was to be harmed, Miss Shelby?" He almost laughed, a nasty smile decorating his face.

Esther's chest went tight as Campbell dragged a knife across Irene's face. She whimpered, pleading eyes finding hers. Esther struggled and tried to wring herself out of the man's arms. A grunt left her lips.

"Let this be a lesson, Esther." He came closer, boot in her face. "I'm here in the name of the king, not to play games." He took a few steps back. "I'm going to find the guns, one way or another." He turned to Irene. "Sacrifices are needed, it seems." He paused as he took the knife into his right hand. "This will be the first"

As if it happened in slow motion, he jabbed the big knife into Irene's abdomen. To the brim.
He sighed, letting Irene fall to the dirty ground.
Esther huffed in disbelief. Tears spilling over her cheeks. "No, no, no"

The men left them, Irene tried to breathe but the pain was astonishing. The moment the men let her go, Esther crawled over to Irene. "No, god. Irene" she cradled her face.
"Help!" She yelled. Nobody would hear.

"Esther" Irene's hand found hers. "I'm not letting you die" she whispered. Esther tugged her hair behind her ears and picked Irene up. She struggled, Irene was almost heavier than her.

It took everything in her to carry her best friend to the near by hospital. It was one street over, one more street to carry Irene. The people on the street looked, stared. They didn't help though.

Esther kicked the door to the hospital open, Irene almost slipped out of her grip. "Help!" She yelled, almost too quiet. The strength slowly leaving her. The adrenaline dying down. Irene whimpered and held a piece of Esther's clothes in her hand.

A doctor sprinted and took Irene out of Esther's hands. "She has to live, please" she cried. The doctor was long gone, nurses hushed the woman into a chair near the entrance. "please" she whispered.

Esther didn't move, her body felt numb.
A nurse walked past her, she grabbed her hand. The nurse yelped at the sudden contact. "Could I make a phone call?" Esther asked, weakly.

The nurse lead Esther to a telephone. She let it ring, she exactly knew who to call.
Her bloody hands felt weird, clammy.
"Shelby?" Tommy's voice reached her ear. She closed her eyes, a sad smile finding its way onto her face.
"Tommy" she sighed, a sob leaving her mouth.

"Esther?" He paused. "Where are you? Ada is giving birth" Esther whimpered, her hands shaking. "Irene, umh, hospital." She tried to string words together. "What the fuck happened." Thomas asked, voice calm. "Campbell killed Irene" she sobbed. "Where are you?" He asked. "The hospital" she whispered, trying to gather herself.
"I'm coming."

Esther sat there, on the chair near the entrance. Her face was blank, no emotions. She wouldn't be able to forgive herself if Irene didn't survive. Irene has been her best friend since they were kids, she was the only person she could bare herself to, completely.

"Esther?" She didn't react, her vision empty. "Esther, love" Polly's voice reached her ears.
"What happened" Arthur's voice reached her as well. "Stop pestering the poor soul" Polly bit at them.

Esther looked horrible. Her face looked tired, fallen in, dark circles visible beneath her eyes. And the blood, so much blood coated her.

"Esther Shelby?" A man in a white robe walked towards her. "About the woman you brought in"

"Yes?"

═══*.·:·.☽✧    ✦    ✧☾.·:·.*═══

a/n: so, I'm on lockdown rn so I have some time on my hand. I'll figure out what and how to run this book and I'll let u know soon.

btw, thank u for 3k reads 🦋