06 - six

═══*

═══*.·:·.☽✧ ✦ ✧☾.·:·.*═══

Esther slammed the door to Tommy's office with so much energy that it made the hinges rattle. His eyebrows raised as he look up to see who had shut the door with so much anger.

"This has to stop!" Esther spoke. Tommy didn't speak, he just looked down on his documents again. "Speak to me, damn it!" she slammed her hand onto his table.

He stood up, very fast. So fast that the chair almost fell over. "What, for fucks sake, do you want me to say?" He paused, thinking what to throw at her head.

"That not only Arthur, John and me got messed up? That my older sister is a fucking murderer and shows no sense of remorse? Or that Campbell is up on my ass because you shot an IRA agent?" He shouts. Esther had to take a deep breath before speaking again.

"You think you're the saint here?" She murmured in anger. He rolled his eyes and shook his head no. "That's not what I said" Esther huffed in disbelief. "You don't get to judge me. Not you." He didn't say anything as he leaned back. "I'm the only person you speak to, whenever." Esther sat down with her hands on his table "I'm not gonna let you pull away just because I messed up" Tommy sighed and nodded. "Alright." He lit a cigarette for himself "You're on probation then, don't make me regret that"

"How generous of you, little brother"

⌞  •°•❀•°• ⌟

This night Esther didn't leave Tommy, she stayed by his side until he left for a personal matter. Something he didn't want his sister to be by his side for.

She made use of his bed and slept well until her stupid bitch of a brother broke the door open.
She laid in bed, head buried deep in the pillow beneath her and her right hand resting above the revolver hidden away underneath the said pillow.

In a swift motion she turned around, gun grasped tight in her hands. John stumbled back, his hands shot up in a hurry.

"You son of a bitch, I could've shot your brains out!" She spoke. Esther put the gun to the side, John took a seat next to her.

"Why'd you break into Toms room?" She spoke silently. He breathed in, his hands folded uncomfortably in his lap. "Can't sleep" he offered. Her eyes fell on the pipe. "So you decided to steal Tommy's opium?" He diverted her gaze, not wanting to agree with her.

"You can talk to me, you know that" she offered. She rested her head on his shoulder. "I'm your sister, I'm here for you to talk to" she whispered "I know" John sighed. "I'm down in the trenches" he shakily admitted.

Esther sighed. Her brothers fought their own personal war but it was all the same. They were imprisoned in those damned trenches. They never left that place, they died, deep within.

"You're alive, John." He tried to control his breathing. She squeezed his thigh in an assuring manner. "I'm glad you are, Johnny." She paused to gulp, tears threatening to spill. "After all, what would I do without my little brother? Life would be so boring" she laughed, a tear making its way down her cheek.

⌞  •°•❀•°• ⌟

Esther sat in the Garrison, head tiled down and her hair covering her face. She didn't like busy days, everyone had something to do but her. When Esther was alone with herself and her mind she went down, down into dark places. Insecurities and bad thoughts made their way into her head.

She was alone, a bottle of whiskey and a candle lit on the dirty table in front of her. "Why in the name of the devil am I alive?" She whispered, more to god and the fucking universe than herself.

The door suddenly busted open and her little brother made his way into the bar. "What are you doing here?" Tommy asked. "What are you doing here?"she countered. "Had to get my mind off of things" he answered. "With alcohol?" Esther asked. "Is there any other way?" He countered

Yes, death.

"Get yourself a glass, I have a bottle here" She spoke. "How about a toast?" He asked after a few minutes of silence. "Can you make a toast, Esther?"

"I'm a Shelby, I can make a million toasts."
They raised their glasses before Esther spoke.

"Here's to swearing, lying, stealing and drinking.
When you swear, swear by your country;
When you lie, lie for a friend;
When you steal, steal away from bad company;
And when you drink, drink with me."

Thomas accepted the toast and took a sip.

⌞  •°•❀•°• ⌟

Esther knew damn well that something was up, why in the name of god did Tommy insist on her to wear a nice dress?

She and a bunch of peaky blinders, including her brothers made their way towards the Lee family's territory. "Tommy, please. How in the hell am I supposed to fight any of'em with this stupid dress on?"

Tommy chuckled after taking a drag from his cigarette.
"It's not my fault you're not used to dress like a proper woman" his eyes met hers.
"And we're not fighting today"

The boys halted, so did Esther. "What?" Arthur propped his hand on Esther's shoulder with a confused expression on his face.

"We're here for a marriage"

Esther's eyes widened, her chest becoming tight. She didn't know what to do, what to think. Why would Tommy do this.
He turned to John, pointing his hand at her little brother.

"Your wedding"

═══*.·:·.☽✧ ✦ ✧☾.·:·.*═══

hi! I know it's short but something big is gonna happen :) stay tuned.

vote & comment pls 🦋