CHAPTER 20

Chapter TwentyEzra Holmes

Chapter Twenty
Ezra Holmes

Raya downs her third shot of vodka like it was water, and not alcohol.

I feel a wave of déjà vu washing over me, watching her down all the shots. It made me think of that night when she was swaying her hips to the music. She would glance back at me with a smirk on her mouth as she downed the shots.

I know now that she was just trying to turn me on, and hell if it didn’t work.

She wipes her mouth with the back of her hand, setting the shot glass down onto the counter with a thump. She notices me staring at her and raises her eyebrow questioningly at me. “Why are you looking at me like that, newcomer?”

The entire club was dimly lit, but I saw Raya clearly beside me. Her cheeks were covered in a light scattering of freckles, her cheeks pink from the amount of shots she has already downed. 

I shake my head, tipping my beer bottle over against my lips, taking a big swig out of it. I place my bottle on the coaster Geoffrey provided for me earlier and I look at Raya again, seeing her eyes already on me. “I was just thinking about the last time we were here. When GC opened.”

“You mean the first time I let you touch me?” She asks, not even bothering to lower her voice, but the smirk on her mouth told me that she was aiming for people to hear us so that she could attempt to embarrass me. “And when you got so hard for me—”

I clamp my hand around her mouth, shutting her up before anyone could hear her foul mouth.

I wasn’t slightly embarrassed about getting a hard on for her, but if she was going to keep talking like that, I might just get one again and I doubted that it would be easy to take care of this time.

She chuckles against my hand, pulling it off of her mouth.  “I wasn’t going to finish that sentence, newcomer. I just wanted to see what you would do.” She says, beckoning for one of the bartenders other than Geoffrey to refill her shot glass.

The bartender walks over to us, pouring a shot of vodka into the little shot glass until it reached the rim of the glass. Raya thanks him under her breath, taking the shot glass before she tips all of the contents into her parted mouth. I knew Raya long enough to know that there was something clearly bothering her, like I knew how upset she was when Bear gave her the cold shoulder. She didn’t take a shot of alcohol because she wanted to have fun, she was taking the shot to forget.

“So,” I change the subject, listening to the music playing in the background, “are you going to tell me what Archie did to upset you so much? And don’t tell me that it’s nothing, because it clearly isn’t nothing.”