CHAPTER 31

Chapter Thirty OneRaya St Claire

Chapter Thirty One
Raya St Claire

Archie comes into my room unannounced and without warning.

When I saw him, I didn’t know how to react because all the emotions I tried to suppress the last couple of days since washed over me, all at once, too. I didn’t know if I wanted to grab him by his throat or chase him from my room, but any of those options would result in him become suspicious.

Yes, I have stormed out of his office days ago when he didn’t deny the fact that he used me for all those years, and I indicated that I was pissed, but I wanted to take Lady Agent’s advice and act normal around him, for the most part, at least.

He stands in the doorway, leaning against the doorframe with his right shoulder. “Are we okay?” He asks, knitting his eyebrows together in clear confusion. “We haven’t really talked since my office the other day… And I’d hoped you’d cooled off enough for me to try and explain my reasons for being… an ass, I guess.”

“Of course we’re okay.” I tell him with a smile that didn’t quite reach my eyes.

When I looked at Archie before I found out about his involvement in my family’s murder, I looked up at him, and I would get happy when he’d talk to me about things, but now, when I look at him, all I see staring back at me is a man in a black mask, holding my little six year old brother before his crony shot and killed him.

I had to bite my tongue not to burst out yelling for him to leave my room and to never come back, and how I refrained myself from yelling those words was beyond me. I guess I’m stronger than I thought.

“I shouldn’t have said those things.” I voice softly instead of bursting out yelling at him. “I shouldn’t have accused you of just using me for my hacking abilities…”

I swallow hard, hoping that he wouldn’t see that I was trying so hard to refrain myself from actually going at him with my hands fisted. Let me tell you, refraining yourself from punching someone in the face took more willpower than anything, and how I managed it was beyond me. It took every fibre of my entire being not to take out my pocketknife underneath my pillow and to slash Archie’s damn throat.

It was difficult to look at him in his eyes while knowing the things I knew about him, and acting like everything was okay was even more difficult. I was scared he would notice that I didn’t look at him as if he was my role model anymore, and that I actually did hate him so much, and I was just trying to hide that from him.

“I didn’t use you for just your hacking abilities, Raya.” He says.

I look at the ground when I spoke. “I know.”