CHAPTER 08

Chapter EightRaya St Claire

Chapter Eight
Raya St Claire

Bear was seated on the couch when I entered the living room. I was still soaking wet from training in the yard with the newcomer, but I didn't really care. The one who would care, however, was Archie if I were to dirty his grey couches. Those L-shaped couches were more expensive than all of our TV's combined and Archie saw it as his most valuable possession, therefore I kept my distance.

The water droplets made a trail behind me as I made my way to where Bear was seated, and when I neared him, there was something clearly off about him. He was looking out of the window with a faraway look as if he was homesick. It was definitely strange to see him look like that; he's usually in a joking mood and when he wasn't in a joking mood, he was in a killing mood, but even in a killing mood; he always had a big grin on his face.

Bear must have heard me approaching because he turned his head to look at me. He eyes the trail of water behind me, and instead of commenting on how Archie was going to freak out about it; he just looked out of the window with the same faraway look without saying absolutely anything.

I bounce on my feet, frowning at him. "What's wrong, Bear?"

I wanted to join him on the couch so that we could talk about what had him looking so down and distant, but Archie would literally kill me if I were to ruin his grey couches, so I stood instead, causing a pool of water to form at my feet.

"Nothing." He replies, still looking out of the window.

It's like it physically pained him to look at me because he was focusing really hard not to make eye contact with me, because when he did look at me, he quickly looked away again.

"I know you better than that, Bear." I tell him, wanting to touch his shoulder, but thinking twice about it. If he was in such a pissy mood like this, I didn't want to cause him to lash out on me, but it didn't stop me from asking, though. "I can tell when there's something wrong with you, so spill it."

"I said nothing's wrong, Raya." He says, his voice as cold as ice, piercing through my heart at how cold his tone sounded. He rarely lashed out on me, if ever. When he looks up at me, I see anger and even disappointment written in his eyes, but he didn't mention anything about why he was angry or even disappointed, he just changed the subject rather abruptly. "Take a shower before you get sick." He says, his tone was a little gentler than it was moments before, but the anger and disappointment was still evident on his usually kind face.

"Uhm, okay..." I say slowly, wondering what I did to piss him off like that.

As I was looking at him looking out of the window, a million thoughts raced through my mind as I tried to figure out what had him so angry, but none came to mind. It couldn't have been the mission where we went in lethally even after Archie has said that we shouldn't, because I took the blame and the newcomer took the blame too, so it couldn't have been the mission, but if it wasn't the mission, then what had Bear so pissed and disappointed?