CHAPTER 15

Chapter FifteenEzra Holmes

Chapter Fifteen
Ezra Holmes

“You could have at least brought your damn bike.” Raya mumbles, shaking her head. “These shoes are killing me.” She looks down at her black pair of sneakers and sneers.

“No, I didn’t bring the bike.” I say. “I would have caught your attention if I did.”

Her sneakers were so worn out, I didn’t doubt for a second that they were uncomfortable to walk in, but we were almost at the mansion so she had to stick it out for a little longer. Unless…

“Do you want me to carry you?” I ask, seeing her stop in her tracks to grab hold of her foot that was no doubt hurting from the long walk back from Geoffrey’s club.

“If I wanted you to carry me, I would have asked.” She says without looking at me. “But seeing that you offered… I would appreciate that.” She practically whispered the last part, telling me that she didn’t like to ask for help. She really is stubborn.

“A please would be appreciated.”

She glares at me sideways.

I lift my eyebrows up, waiting for her to say please.

I thought she wouldn’t cave, but then she surprised me by muttering please.

“See, was that really so bad?”

“Are you going to carry me or what?” She huffs.

I chuckle and bend down just slightly for her to jump on my back, and once she was on my back, I grabbed hold of her legs, keeping her from slipping down again. Her dark hair tickles my cheek when a gush of wind flew past us, but before her hair could tickle my cheek again, Raya grabs a handful of her hair and keeps it out of our faces with a single hand, while the other arm was wrapped around my neck.

The sun was barely on the verge of setting, and if we weren’t home when the sun disappears, Archie would most likely call in a missing person’s case for Raya.

I know he might not have verbally asked me to come and get her today, but when he gave me that look that said that I needed to go out there and protect her, he didn’t need to ask me twice, but the way he looked at me, with trust in his eyes, made my stomach harden with guilt. If he knew the real reason why I joined the gang, he would never have left me alone with her, not even for a single second.

I shake my head at myself, ignoring the guilt that started to consume me.

“Why did you want to leave the meeting room so badly?” I ask her. “Does it have something to do with Bear’s cold shoulder? And the lack of communication?”