32

I did not get much sleep. All I could think about was one thing. One person. Viridian. I wanted to know what he was thinking. He as silent the whole way. His eyes completely focused on the road before us all. I had hoped he would look in my direction. Even for only a second. So I could talk to him, maybe even see if he cared. But I knew I should not be thinking about that. I should have been thinking about home. Would they miss me there? Was I even gone? Or had someone else taken my place? I should have thought about a way to get home. How to get out of here.. but all I thought about was him. Him. Him. Him. All I wanted was to know him.
The horses came to s atop. No one said a word. The path before us looked empty. Almost scary empty. The soldiers around us ran forward with a surprising speed. Most of them rushed away from the path. Straight between the trees. I leaned to Viridian, ready to bother him with another of my questions, but while leaning I already saw what was happening. A group of attackers welcomed the soldiers between the trees. The attackers were no match. They all fell at the attacks of the soldiers. My eyes wondered back to Viridian. He looked relaxed. This was probably one of many attacks he had noticed. He turned his head to me. His eyes still on the path before us.
"We set up camp here." He spoke without emotion. He was not joking. We were going to camp here. Right where everyone could find us. A soldier helped me off the horse before I was ready for it. My legs were tired from the long ride. It took all my energy to stand up straight and not fall over. An arm swung around my waist. I immediately knew it was the soldier. He was much taller than I had expected. It took him some effort not to lift me in his attempt to help me.
"Make a safe spot so she can rest. Bring this." Viridian spoke fast while throwing something to the soldier. In a fast flash I noticed what the soldier picked up from the ground before pulling me away from the horses. The pattern on the outside was one in a million. My bag. Had Viridian kept it all this time? I had forgotten about it. I had to get my hands on it. Fast. I needed to know if it was still in there.. The book.