42

P.o.v. Maeve

I could feel all the pain as I took a step back. My hands held the sword up high. I did not know how long I was going to keep this up. My body was so tired. So ready to give up. I knew I had lost enough blood for my body to stop itself. I could not win, but I had to keep going. I had to try. i had to try for Viridian. I could feel the heaviness on my back. The silence between the King and I was so quiet, I could hear my blood drip onto the floor. The King stood before me. A long distance between us. I did not look at him. I knew he wasn't tired. He was ready to fight again. I knew he was going to kill me any second now. It would only take one strike more. He looked ready to lift his sword again. To stab me one final time. My mind was empty. For the first time I had no thoughts. No thoughts of home. No thoughts of Viridian. I had no regrets for what I did. I. Had tried and that was the best I could have done. Maybe giving up was not such a bad idea. The sword made a loud crash on the marble floor as it bounced a couple of times. The heaviness of my back nearly pushed me forward. Slowly I dropped to the floor. I looked at my knees. The fabric of my clothes were different now. The fabric did not have the nice colour I ones loved. The dark red surrounded the floor around me. I looked up to see the King walk to me. He had his sword low. I could see the emotions in his eyes. It was not hate. Not anger. It was misunderstanding. The strange thing was. He did not look at me. His focus was on something else. My eyes followed the King as he slowly passed me. He was talking. Saying words I could not hear. What was taking him so long? He was probably waiting. Waiting for my blood to completely escape from my helpless body. I had no strength to keep myself up anymore. Without to much force I let myself drop on my side. I could have imagined my head bouncing against the ground a couple of times. It would have explained the fuzzy view I had. I closed my eyes for what felt like a minute. When I opened them again, I wasn't looking at the legs of the King walking passed me. I was staring at his face. The way he lay there. A few feet away from me. The white in his eyes visible. He did not move to stand up. His arms did not move. His hand did not try to grab his sword beside him. He lay there. Silent. Just like me. Had he counted his last seconds? Whoever had attacked him.. I was grateful to them. It meant Viridian was going to have a better life. That was the last thing I needed to know. It had been worth it.. He was free.