16

I need you.

The words kept haunting my thoughts. This guy just said that. And probably meant it. I had heard them. Had he meant them in the way I thought he would? Or was it for some other reason. One I couldn't understand yet. I needed to know. He kept moving forward.

"You can't just throw that out there and not expect me to not believe it." I blurred out. I felt quilty at the words, but I needed to get it out there.

"Then don't believe it. It doesn't bother me." He was fast to react, but did stop walking again. As if he was ready to listen to my next words. Ready to know what I had to say.

"I don't think you know what they mean." I spoke to him.

"I know what they mean." He said.

"Probably not the same thing what it means where I come from." At those words he did turn. His face looked angry suddenly.

"And where in the world would those words mean something different from what I mean?" He spoke while walking to me. He stopped right before me. I forgot that he was a bit taller than I was. He definitley changed his armour. The last time I spoke to him his armour had looked horrible. Covered in dirt and probably blood. Now it was clean. No a spot of dirt to find on it. It was impressive.

"Like you care. You don't even know my name." I took a step back to create more space between us. He didn't seem to agree and took a step forward.

"Care? I have been nothing but looking after you for the past few weeks. I let no soldier by your side if I was there. The soldiers have not been fighting for weeks. Yesterday was the first one in weeks. I tried to heal your leg and it didn't work. All we could do after that was move places to find better people and places to take care of you. You have no idea what I did in the couple of weeks and specially not how worried I was." He stopped his rant to take a second to breath. Now that he was standing so close I could see it. He looked worn out. The darkness around his eyes looked more horrible then before. Guilt started to creep up on me. He personally had taken care of me. He had so many people to do that. He still looked angry when he spoke again.

"And of course I know your name Meave. How could I not know that.."