44

P.o.v. Viridian

The sound of metal hitting the floor woke me. I sat up. The pain in my shoulder was a recall of what had happened. The pain was a reminder for me. To not forget. The window told me it was late. Another sleepless night. This had to stop. I got out of bed and dressed myself in the easiest clothes I could find laying around the room. My feet dragged me outside. The guards beside my door followed me. The sound of their outfits annoyed me, but I could not change that. Not yet anyway. I stopped by the stairs leading down. The smell of fresh bread filled the air. The bakers must have started for the breakfast. I wondered what It would be this time. Soup again? Of would they make something new for a change? Whatever it was, my stomach was screaming for it already. I dragged myself down the steps. Please let it not be that union soup again.. I softly pushed the door open to the kitchen. The smell of bread hung heavy in the air. I could not smell any soup. Yet anyway. I went inside without hesitation.
"Look who is wake now." I was greeted by a big smile.
"What are you doing at this hour?" I smiled leaning against the wall. The kitchen was covered in fresh baked breads as big as they could be to fit in the oven. I grabbed one and broke it in two pieces. I was greeted by a hand full of flour hitting me in the face.
"They are not for you!" I knew it was for the elderly lady to sell at the festival, but one piece wouldn't be bad.
"I will make one myself then to make it -." I was cut off.
"You are doing nothing with that shoulder of yours, my King." I smiled at the last words. After weeks I was still not used to it.
"Well if you play your cards right you might become my queen soon." I smiled handing over the piece of bread.
"Me? A queen? Maeve the great. A fighter, A outsider. Soon to be a queen? What would the people say?" I loved how she joked like that. I knew she had said yes the second I had asked her to be my queen earlier this week.
"You are forgetting to add great baker of bread to that list." I smiled at her biting into the bread. Maeve pushed me softly away from her.
"Go wash up. We are going to meet our favourite elderly lady in a few hours because we made a vow to her. Also to bring her the bread." Maeve pushed me towards the door. I turned in the doorway to her.
"Don't forget. Don't mention our secret to her yet." She held the door. Ready to slam it in my face.
"I, King Viridian, will not tell her you are with child. She might, probably, already, sort of, know." I rushed up the stairs as fast as I could.
"I will kill you!" Maeve yelled from the bottom of the stairs.
"Love you too my queen!" I yelled back.