Date Night

I didn't give away too many details about Dylan and I's phone call in front of Uncle Will, so I waited until Emma and I were laying in her bed to talk. We were talking slightly above a whisper.

"Wow, are you excited?" she asked sleepily.

"Yes! What should I wear?"

She hummed. "That red top?"

I thought about it. "Yeah, maybe. What time do you work again?"

"I'm gonna call Norma in the morning and tell her I'm coming in later so we can hang out before your date."

When she said the word "date" it made me stomach flip. I was excited and nervous as usual. I couldn't help but fantasize a kiss...or more.

Emma had rolled over and was already falling asleep. I rolled over too but it would be hours before I could finally drift away...

The next morning I woke up at freaking eight o'clock because I was so excited for that night. Needless to say by later that afternoon I was dragging. Emma and I went out for a drive with the windows down but other than that, we just chilled at her house and watched movies. We were watching an old black and white movie called Dark Passages when I started to doze off on the couch. I tried to keep awake but my eyes just kept fighting to close. I gave in...

"Oh crap!" I heard someone say in a faraway place. Next thing I knew, I was being shook.

I came to and jumped. Emma was shaking me. I bolted up. "What!?" I shouted, scared.

"It's 5:20! Wake up!" She bellowed.

Huh? 5:20? What does that matter? I rubbed my eyes and remembered Dylan would be here at six. "SHIT!" I flew off the couch and ran to the bathroom. I hadn't even showered yet because I wanted to be fresh for our date! I jumped in the shower and scrubbed down fast.

Of course combing my hair took ten minutes because of all the damned rats in it. I dried my bangs and left the rest damp. I didn't have time to dry it all! I still had to get dressed and do my makeup!

"Emma!" I yelled. "What time is it?"

"You have fifteen minutes!"

I breathed once as a relief. Ok, I thought. Makeup first or outfit? Better go ahead and get my face out of the way. I slapped on some eye shadow, eyeliner, and was skillfully swiping my mascara on when I heard a shriek. I about stabbed myself in the eye and smeared a bit. Damn it. I almost had a heart attack when the door flew open. Emma bursted through, putting a hand on either side of the threshold. "Dylan's here."

My eyes bugged. "What?!" I was still standing there in my bra and underwear. "Stall him!" I scurried to Emma's room and shut the door. EEEK! I quickly tried to make an outfit decision but was having a hard time concentrating. I was listening to the knock at the door and Emma and Dylan talking. Holy crap. I can't believe this is happening! I finally just chose a dress and threw it on. I examined myself in the full-length mirror and decided I looked decent. I took a deep breath and shakily opened the door to walk out to the living room.

There he was looking fucking handsome as hell. He smiled and I almost dropped to the floor. I smiled. "Hey."

"Hey," he repeated. He was in one of his flannels just like he said. "You look great."

I reddened. "Thanks, you do too."

He slapped his hands on his pants. "Ready?" he asked.

"Oh wait! Let me take a picture!" Emma exclaimed. I handed her my phone, glad that she was asking. She took the picture. I hugged Emma bye. "Have fuuuun," she sing-songed. I grinned at her before closing the door behind me. Dylan opened the truck door for me and I hopped in. He closed my door and sauntered over to the drivers side. Once he started the engine, he smiled again at me. "So did you decide where you want to go?"

Shoot, I hadn't even thought about it, but I decided that pasta sounded good to me. "Italian."

Again, he smiled. "Perfect."