Underneath the Stars, Underneath You

We drove to a camping/hunting supplies store and browsed through the variety of air mattress selections. Dylan chose one and took it to the counter. The cashier rung him up and Dylan took out his wallet, handing the guy cash.

People may think I'm weird when I announce this, but that's perfectly fine. The way Dylan stood there, just being himself in public, I found it so attractive. Even more so than just us being together almost. And I loved the simplicity of shopping with him. I loved that we were together in public. It felt like I was close to him without him knowing. It's like we are together but we aren't. It's like...I was a comet speeding towards the Earth. I was falling for him so fast, so hard, and had been this whole time.

We got back in the truck and headed towards the motel. Dylan told me he wasn't going to ask Norma for the sheets, he was just going to grab some. I giggled at him before he got out of the truck. Alone in his vehicle, I let out a smitten sigh and glanced around the inside. There was something about being inside a man's truck.

Dylan hurried out of the supply room with a whole armfull of duvets. He almost had to waddle to be able to carry them all. He met my eyes and smiled once he saw I was laughing at him. He was so cute. I twisted around and stood on the seat, reaching back behind the driver's seat to open the door for him. I barely reached it, but I managed to flick the door handle open so he could open the door the rest of the way with his arm. He threw the covers in the back seat and stuffed them in so he could slam the door. He hopped in the driver's side and said "Let's get out of here before anyone notices."

He spun out of the driveway, partly just for my pleasure so I could laugh at him some more. We were acting silly together and it was fabulous. "What are you going to want to eat tonight?"

"Well, I just ate not too long ago with Emma."

"I know, but I meant for later tonight. We can get some snacks or sandwiches or something."

"Oh! Well, I don't know, what do you want?"

"Don't know. Let's pull in here," he pointed as he pulled into a grocery store lot.

There we browsed the isles of endless snacks. "Ooh!" Dylan spotted the Cheeze-Its. "Gotta have these," he said outloud to himself. Then he looked at me. "Pick yourself out something."

I picked out some animal crackers. Once you have one animal cracker, you cannot stop for a while. Am I right? Then we strolled over to the deli area and picked up two already made sandwiches. "Oh! Drinks!" Dylan remembered and we sauntered over to the drinks. He stopped in front of the beer and picked himself up a sixpack. "Do you drink?"

I shrugged. "Not really."

He nodded once. "You can pick out whatever you want."

Hmmm, I thought. Do I want to get my normal Dr. Pepper, or get some alcohol like him. Maybe I can drink one of his beers. HA! I laughed to myself. Yuck. I grabbed my usual soda.

"Ok, anything else we need?"

"I don't think so."

"Alright, let's check out."

Waiting in line to check out, it was starting to become dusk outside. We had plenty of time to be able to blow up the mattress and actually see what we're doing before it gets too dark. I felt weird again. Like I almost fantasized that we were married getting groceries together. Yeah. I'm so weird. I shouldn't be so harsh about Norman when I have my own issues haha!

Back in the truck for the final time, I asked Dylan, "So where are you going to park?"

"There's plenty of places. I know just the one." He drove past some trees and drove on the grass in a field. "We won't get in trouble will we?" I asked.