Dinner with the Bates'

The next day Emma and I decided to go on a picnic through the woods next to the river. It was cool and cloudy out and I liked that.

We were enjoying our lunch of packed sandwiches, laughing at stuff in our lives when Emma's phone started ringing. "Hello?" she answered. "Yeah, that's fine. Great. Ok. See you later." She hung up the phone. "That was Norma and she wants to have dinner tonight. I hope you like chicken pot pie."

"What time?"

"Five thirty-ish. Do you you want to change?"

I looked down at my black and white Papa Roach shirt, ripped jeans, and Converse. "Not really...do you think I should?"

She shrugged. "I don't know. I guess not. Sometimes Norma gets a little anal about things and wants everything to be perfect. She might silently freak out inside if we're not in nice outfits. But hey, you look more badass like that so you might catch Dylan's attention."

"Good to know."

We stuck around by the river for a while longer, then Emma whisked us off to some shops downtown. We were walking down the street when a big blue Ford truck drove by. Emma grabbed my arm "That's Dylan's truck!"

I stared it down dreamily like a total freak. "Why do you encourage me?" I asked her and we laughed. We spent so long in this boutique trying on clothes that it was already 5. Unbelievable.  I didn't even buy anything, but Emma did buy a cardigan.

We took our time getting to the Bates'. I was nervous and had a little bit of anxiety like I do sometimes. We walked up the stairs to the door and knocked. To my lovely surprise, Dylan answered. He smiled. "Hey." Both me and Emma "heyed" back and Emma went ahead on in. "Papa Roach huh? Nice."

"Oh, you like them?" I asked.

He nodded. "Yeah. My favorite song is "Last Resort."

"Oh nice! I would have to say mine is "My Heart Is A Fist."

We stood there looking at each other with grins when finally he cocked his head and said "Come on."

"Ginny!" Miss Bates called out but I could see the slightest drop of a smile when she saw what I was wearing because her and Norman were both dressed up as usual. "Please, sit down. Would you like tea? Water?"

"Uhm, do you have milk?" I asked shyly. Dylan snickered. "Milk?" Norma asked. "Uhm yeah, sure."

Norma sat at the right of the table closest to the stove, Norman to her left, Emma beside him, Dylan across from her and me at the other end of the table.

She served us and I said thank you. "So what did you two do today?" she asked us. We told her.

"I thought I saw you two walking earlier," Dylan stated. We met eyes. "Yep we saw your truck," Emma replied.

Even though I didn't like eating in front of him, I did and pretended it didn't bother me in the slightest. "Mmm, Miss Bates this is good," I said after swallowing. I took a swig of milk. I know Norma had already asked me to call her by her first name, but I still felt a bit awkward about it.

"Oh, please, Ginny, call me Norma. And thank you. It's Norman's favorite." She smiled at Norman and leaned towards him. "Isn't it Norman?"

Norman, the creep, seemed annoyed. "Yes mother it is, thank you for making it."

Making sure Norma and Norman weren't looking I bulged my eyes at Emma making sure she knew I thought he was a freaking weirdo. I heard a chuckle and realized Dylan saw me. I blushed.

"What's so funny?" Norma asked.

"Oh nothing," Dylan said.

Norma cleared her throat. "So, Ginny. Are you seeing anyone at the moment?" She darted her eyes at Dylan for a nano second.

"Oh, uhm, no."

"Oh! Well how long have you been single?"

"Uhm. For....for quite a while actually. My last ex dumped me right after he took my virginity."

Norma choked on her water and almost spit some out. Oh shit. I really, really can't believe I just said that. WHYYYYYYY do these things happen to me! I hate when I say thoughts outloud. "Sorry, I didn't mean to say that outloud." I felt my face go deep red and felt EVERYONE'S eyes on me.

"Not to pry, but he took your virginity then dumped you?"

"Basically. He was psycho. He made me feel very inferior. Anyways, that was a couple years ago actually."

"You haven't had a boyfriend in a couple years?" she asked.

"No. I didn't have any reason to date after that. I didn't want to."

"Oh, well are you looking now?" Again her eyes darted towards her normal son. "Or are you still wishing to stay single?"

"Hah. Not really. I think it would be nice to date again." I cleared my throat. "Especially if it was someone nice."

"Anyone you have your eyes set on?"

"Mother." Norman said as if to try and stop his mom from talking to and about me. What was his deal?

Emma and I exchanged looks. "What?" Norma looked at Norman. "I'm just asking the girl some get-to-know-you questions. You don't have to answer if you don't want to, Ginny." She glared at Norman.

I looked down at my food. Silence.

"So do you...have your eyes set..on someone?" Dylan asked.

Oh my gosh. Seriously what do I do?!

"Kind of..." I smiled sheepishly.

"A boy from back home?" Norma asked, sipping her water.

"Not really..." I started squirming in my seat.

"Oh! Seen a cute boy here perhaps?" Norma egged on.

"Mother please. This is probably embarrassing her." Norman said. I wished he would shut up. He was adding to my nervousness.

"No, I'm not trying to embarrass her." She took another drink. "Dylan is single too aren't ya Dylan?"

I think Dylan blushed. "Uhm yeah. I am." He grinned.

"Thanks for dinner Norma, but I'm coming to work early in the morning and I just remembered my dad told me to be home so I could help him with some things." Emma started getting up. I looked at her like she was crazy. She was making this up but I knew she was trying to save me from any more awkwardness when she gave me the look. I stood. "Yes, thank you Norma so much for having me. It was good."

"Oh, sorry you have to go! But I am glad you stayed for dinner. I will see you later!"

Needless to say, the car ride was full of conversation. I barely waited to shut the car door before I shouted so loud. "HOLY SHIT! I'M AN IDIOT! I am so embarrassed! I can't believe I let all that crap slip out of my mouth!"

"If you want to know my opinion, I think Norma told Dylan you thought he was cute. She was totally hinting around and waiting for you to spill your guts." She side-glanced at me. "More than you already did."