Neverending

The next evening as Hannah and I were heading to Declan's house, Emma was texting me.

Gin, Norman drove Annika's car back to the motel and we haven't seen her since that day they left together. Norma is getting worried.

Wtf. Something's not right.

I think when Norma gets home we are gonna check the room together.

Keep me updated.

I will.

I was distracted by what was happening six hours away so I let Hannah knock on Declan's door and greet him. I had been to Declan's house years ago and he still lived in the same one, so I was familiar with the setup.

I had a crush on Declan in ninth grade and up. I still crush pretty hard on him. He's just so cute and I can't seem to get over this stupid ass crush. His friend, Cody, and the three of us started playing Black Ops. We were just shooting each other and other players, laughing at Hannah trying to figure out how to play. Of course me and her were getting our butts kicked. My phone vibrated in my pocket and I stopped to pull it out and look. It was Emma. Declan noticed I wasn't playing so he paused the game. When Cody protested, Declan said he needed a drink and asked us if we wanted one. "Ginny, come help," he told me. I was blindsided by his request. I followed him into the kitchen and he pulled out four sodas. "So how are you? I haven't seen you in forever!"

I smiled weakly. "I know."

He opened his arms for a hug which I enjoyed. "I'm sorry for what you had to go through. I can't believe that happened."

"I know. It still haunts me."

"So what's the deal? Why were you there? I mean, did they give you any reason why they kidnapped you?"

"I was there visiting some people and yeah...they were doing it to get back at someone else."

"Yo, bring me my drink, dick!" Cody yelled from the other room. Declan grinned at me. "Hold on, I'll be right back."

He left the kitchen and I read the text from Emma.
We found her suitcase. It was open. There was an invite to some club and Norma is going there tonight to try and find answers. We both know Norman is involved somehow.

I had my eyebrows furrowed when yDeclan had entered the kitchen again. "Everything ok?" he asked.

"Oh. Uhm, yeah."

"So what did you mean the kidnappers were getting back at someone else?"

I really didn't feel compelled to explain the whole story to Declan. Why on earth was I slightly trying to keep Dylan out of our conversation? I glanced at him then looked away. "Sorry, it's ok if you don't want to talk about it. I know we haven't talked or hung out in a long time, but I am always here for you if you want to talk!"

I appreciated that. "Thanks," I replied.

He wiggled his eyebrows. "Would you want to get dinner sometime?"

Whooooahhhh. Was this a date he was asking me on? Because for YEARS I wished we could have gotten together. "Like a date or...?"

He looked down. "Would that be ok?"

Before I had a chance to answer, Cody hollered for us to get back in there. We sheepishly smiled at each other and went back into the living room. What I was doing was wrong, but at the same time I wasn't doing anything. Heck, Dylan and Emma talk all the time apparently, so what's the difference? I was sipping my pop and Cody said "Hey losers, look over here." He was snapping a picture of the four of us and he caught me mid-drink, Hannah was smiling, Declan wouldn't look at the camera, and Cody was flashing devil horns with his tongue out. I laughed.