Prologue

My name is Rosella Turner; my childhood was fairly normal. Father was a merchant who made his living by going out to sea every couple of months while Mother stayed at home with me and William. We were a rambunctious duo growing up; we would pull pranks on our parents and unsuspecting people in our neighborhood! Will was my best friend and I looked up to him. 

I recall the day Father brought us very odd gifts; for me and Will, he got each of us a medallion of a coin with a skull on it. I thought it was the greatest thing in the world! I put it around my neck and I felt like a princess who had been given loads of jewels and treasures.
"Father, have you ever met a pirate?" I asked excitedly. "I have, and he was the most notorious pirate I've ever met!" Father picked me up and sat me on his lap. "What was he like?" Will asked with curiosity.
  He went on to tell us of his adventures on the high seas and the pirates he encountered. I had a feeling my father knew a little too much about pirates, and I came to the conclusion he was in fact a pirate.

I was proven right when I saw Father loading his boat to sell his wares, and the sleeve on his shirt fell back revealing a skull and crossbones tattoo on his arm. I was in complete shock! "Father, you're a pirate?" he looked at me as if he received the worst news ever. "Ro?" "You have that tattoo on your arm," I pointed to his right forearm.
Father sighed in defeat, "I should have known you would find out eventually," he sat me down on the boat with him to talk, "Our family comes from generations of pirates, including your mother's side of the family. We were both on voyages when we met, and we fell in love," he and I looked out onto the gently rolling waves of the ocean.

"We wanted to stop piracy after a while to start a family, but it's one of the only ways we can make a living," my father looked at me with sincerity and slight helplessness.
"I've always wanted you and William to have a good life, and I can promise you that your mother and I have never hurt anyone," he promised me.
"I believe you, Father," I replied. "It is very exciting our family is pirates!" I giggled excitedly.

He chuckled, "Indeed it is, but let's keep this between you and me. Will has a distaste for pirates, we'll tell him when the time is right,"

"Okay, Father," I agreed.

Sadly the time never came; Father was killed in a shipwreck while Will was never found, he had gone with him. I took care of my mother until she died.

I was alone with no family, but then I remembered my other family; pirates. I was about twenty when I realized this.

I stowed away on a ship to Tortuga, and I took on the code of the Pirates, and got the same skull and crossbones tattoo that my father had.

I had officially become a pirate.