Freeing Calypso

Chaos began to get even worse. Jack was captured by the crew of Davy Jones in exchange for Will. All Elizabeth's doing, and just when I was about to forgive her she does this. Don't get me wrong I was grateful we were able to get my brother from Beckett, but after the danger Jack was going through in Davy Jones's Locker; I couldn't help but grow anxious.

Tia Dalma was in fact Calypso and she was locked in the brig under Barbossa's orders. In all the years I knew Tia, I had no idea she was the goddess of the sea. That would explain how she knew so much about Davy Jones, she was his lover.

She helped me and Jack through our adventures. When it was revealed that she was Calypso, her demeanor and personality completely changed. Tia was hostile and threatening.

  Barbossa was presented with the nine pieces of eight and placed it in the captains knot.

"Is there an incantation?" I asked him. "Aye, the items brought together are done, and it has to be performed over water. Items are burnt and a person must say 'Calypso, I release you from your human bonds.'" he explained.

  "Is that it?" it seemed so simple. "Aye, it must be spoken softly, as if to a lover." 

Pintel and Ragetti brought Tia Dalma forward while she was tied up in ropes. 

She was stoic and it was obvious she was trying to contain her rage. Barbossa lit the nine pieces of eight and held the bowl in front of her,  "Calypso, I release you from your human bonds!" he shouted. I coughed to contain laughter that was threatening to escape, Jack certainly never spoke to me like that. Nothing happened.

"Is that it?" Pintel asked with confusion. "You didn't say it right." Ragetti told Barbossa, he was now wearing an eye patch. Everyone stared at him. "You didn't say it right." he repeated. "You have to say it right." 

Tia was shaking from the powers that were brewing within her. It was scary. 

"Calypso," Ragetti spoke to her. She turned her head sharply to him in acknowledgement. 

  He reached out to her and moved a strand of her hair away, as if he was her lover, "I release you from your human bonds." 

      The smoke from the burning pieces of eight floated and Tia inhaled it as she was shaking; the pieces of eight had completely burst into flame. The crewmen and I were watching in horror, not knowing what to expect. 

Will rushed forward to her, "Tia Dalma! Calypso! When the Brethren Court imprisoned you... Who was it that told them how? Who was it that betrayed you?" "Name him!" she scowled angrily. 

"Davy Jones." 

Tia glowered with rage and suddenly, her shackles rusted and fell apart, but the ropes stayed around her. She began to grow bigger until she was about ten feet tall. 

  I was helping the crew keep her contained with the ropes, but my hands began to burn because the ropes were moving the taller she grew. 

  Barbossa kneeled before her and gestured for the rest of us to do so. "Calypso, I come before you as a humble servant. I have fulfilled my vow, and now ask your favor. Spare myself, my ship, my crew, but unleash your fury upon those who claim themselves your masters!" 

Calypso tilted her head to the side, and she was quiet for a moment; appearing to consider what decision she was about to make, but then she smiled ravenously, "FOOL!" her fury shook the Black Pearl so greatly that I was astonished that it didn't sink right there and then. 

She disappeared and a wave of crabs began to collapse down upon us! I scrambled for the crow's nest to avoid getting hurt by the crabs. But one crab clamped its claws on my ear and it absolutely hurt. I quickly yanked the crab off my ear and threw it overboard, and I winced. 

"Now what?" I asked Barbossa. "Nothing, our final hope as failed." "It's not over," Elizabeth advised. "Hope is not lost. There's still a fight to be had." Will added. "There's an armada of ships against us. We ain't got a chance at winnin'," Gibbs was trying to be realistic. "Only a fools' chance." my future sister-in-law looked out into the horizon as the wind picked up again. 

"Revenge won't bring back your father, Miss Swann." Barbossa had certainly chosen the wrong thing to say. 

Elizabeth's eyes darkened and she stepped up on the railing of the ship, "You're right. Then what are we dying for?" 

"Listen to me!" she shouted for the crew's attention. "The Brethren will still be looking here, to us, to the Black Pearl, to lead. What will they see? Frightened bilge rats aboard a derelict ship? No. They will see free men. and freedom! And what the enemy will see the flash of our cannons. They will hear the ringing of our swords. And they will know what we can do!" she looked around at all of us listening to her. 

"By the sweat of our brows and the strength of our backs and the courage of our hearts. Hoist the colors." 

"Hoist the colors." "Hoist the colors!" the command repeated throughout the crew. I ran to the crow's nest and raised the Black Pearl's colors. As I pulled the ropes, lifting the flag, I remembered all I had been through over the years. I had taken on the code of the Brethren, I became a pirate, continuing on in my family's lineage of piracy, and I had met and married the love of my life. 

  I knew Jack would be able to escape from the Flying Dutchman and come back onto the Pearl. He was a resourceful man. I would still fight for him and everyone I loved. My family, friends, and the love of my life. 

I sang the Brethren's song as I finished raising the colors. 

Yo-ho, all together
Hoist the colors high
Heave ho, thieves and beggars
Never shall we die