Port Royal

Luckily we had made it to the dock just as the boat was sinking. We stared at the wreckage, the mast was halfway in and out of the water. I looked at him and then back at our sunken boat, "Good luck trying to explain this," I patted him on the shoulder and started to walk towards town. "Yeah, it's going to be difficult," he acknowledged.

We walked on the dock with no problem, until a Naval officer caught us. "Wait wait, come here you two!"
Jack and I stopped walking and we hesitantly approached the officer.
"Aye?" I asked trying to stay inconspicuous. "It costs a shilling to park your boat up to the dock, and I'll need your names," he gestured to the half sunken boat next to the dock.
Jack had that look in his eyes like he always did when he got an idea, "Whattya say to three shillings," he placed three coins on the officer's record book. "And forget the name."

The officer seemed surprised by the unexpected tip and he quickly put the coins in his pocket, "Welcome to Port Royal, Mr. Smith."

He allowed us to pass and we made our way to the shipyard which held lots of unoccupied boats, but we were blocked by two more Royal Navy officers, "This dock is off limits to civilians," the tall one said.
"I'm terribly sorry, I didn't know," Jack put his arm around me, "If we see one, we'll let you know," he attempted to walk past the officers, but they blocked us again.
Jack was trying hard to think of a way to get them to let us pass, "Apparently there's some sort of high-toned and fancy to-do at the fort, eh?" he was referring to the high end event that was going on in the town square.
   I decided to join in on the fun of persuasion, "How is it that two upstanding gentlemen, such as yourselves, did not merit an invitation?" I asked attempting to butter them up with compliments.
"Someone's got to make sure that this dock stays off-limits to civilians," the tall officer stammered.
"It's a fine goal, to be sure, but it seems to me... that a ship like that one," he pointed to the biggest ship in the yard. "Makes this one seem superfluous, really," he observed. "I have to agree," I played along.
"Oh, the Dauntless is the power in these waters, true enough, but there's no ship that can match the Interceptor for speed," the shorter officer told us.

"I've heard of one, supposed to be very fast and highly uncatchable: the Black Pearl," Jack told the officers.
"The Black Pearl is not a real ship," the short officer said pompously.
"Yes it is," the tall officer argued. "No it isn't." "Yes it is, I've seen it." "You've seen a ship that's crewed by the damned and captained by a man so evil that hell itself spat him back out?" 

Jack and I snuck away to board the Interceptor  while the two officers were arguing and we were preparing to cast off. I was astonished at how long it took them to figure where me and Jack had gone.

"Hey! You! Get away from there!" The tall officer yelled after us and the short officer came running behind. I was about to climb to the crows nest when we got caught. I jumped off from the rope ladder and gracefully landed on the deck.
Jack still had his hands on the wheel, "I'm sorry she's just a pretty boat...ship," he corrected himself again.
"What are your names?" The short officer who's name we discovered was Mullroy and the tall one's name was Murtogg.
"Smith," Jack quickly replied. "Ro," I replied telling them the first name I could think of. "What's your purpose in Port Royal, Mr. Smith?" Mullroy asked. "And no lies," Murtogg added. They both had their rifles pointed at us.
Jack strutted towards them and stood like a great war hero, "Well, then, I confess, it is my intention to commandeer one of these ships, pick up a crew in Tortuga, raid, pillage, plunder and otherwise pilfer my weasley black heart out," he looked at me, "I have already found my lovely first mate, so it's the others I need," he said with a smile. I began to blush; why was I blushing?
"I said no lies," Mullroy snapped. "I think he's telling the truth," Murtogg replied. "If he were telling the truth, he wouldn't have told us," Mullroy said as a matter of fact.

"Unless of course, he knew you wouldn't believe the truth even if he told you," Jack said. I didn't understand why he had to use reverse psychology, but oddly enough, it always worked. 

  "So, Mullroy. What do we do about these two pirates?" Murtogg asked. "I dunno," Mullroy shrugged.

I took some shillings out of my pack and placed three in each other there hands, "You can take these and forget you saw us," I attempted to persuade. These two bumbling officers seemed easy to fool, and Jack appeared to agree with me.
"She presents a generous offer," he told them.
Mullroy and Murtogg accepted our shillings and then Jack began to tell them the story of how a tribe we met in the Amazon made him their chief.

Suddenly, we saw a woman in a pastel gold colored dress fall into the sea, and a thud echoed through the harbor. Something wasn't right.