Confession

We met up with Joshamee Gibbs, a friend of Jack's and we made our way back to the Interceptor.

I couldn't sleep, because I had too many things that were on my mind.

           To clear my head, I went up to the deck to look out into the night. Feeling the ocean spray through my hair and the breeze against my face was always relaxing. I sat on the steps of the ship and took everything in. We were on our way to find more people to join the crew. For some reason, I began to think of my mother and father; they had gone before Will and I could really grow up. Father had promised me that he would take me sailing around the world and go on adventures with me, but that wasn't happening now; the man I loved probably didn't love me as well. 

"Rosella?" a voice interrupted my thoughts. I opened my eyes and saw Jack at the bottom of the steps looking up at me. "Hi Jack," I said tiredly. I walked down the steps because he probably wanted to talk to me. 

"Are you alright?  I saw you run off earlier," he said concerned. Jack's usual look of arrogance and eccentricity was gone and replaced with sadness and confusion. "It's nothing, don't worry about it." I felt my face getting hot with embarrassment. 

 "You know you can tell me anything," he sat next to me at the bottom of the steps of the Interceptor.  I looked at him hesitantly, "Do you really want to know?" the conversation so far was making me feel like I was about to walk the plank and fall to my death. "Aye," he replied sincerely. 

         All was silent, but then I took a deep breath, and I faced my captain. "Jack, I'm in love with you." I said it so fast that I was surprised I was audible to him. "Ro?" he was astonished, and I didn't know whether that was good or bad. "Aye, I've felt this way for years, and it has ate at me," I choked down tears that were threatening to escape. "Jack, I feel close to you and safe. You have protected me for all these years, and I'm forever grateful to you." I shifted my leather coat nervously, "Seeing you with those women hurt worse than anything I've ever felt, because I thought you didn't really love any woman, you just wanted to have your list of women," my hands started to tremble. Just then, something happened that was unforeseen; Jack took my hand. "Darling, you were worried over nothing," he touched my face. "Jack?" I smiled surprised. I touched his hand that was touching my face. 

"I'm in love with you too, I've always loved you," my captain confessed to me. "Really?" I asked hopefully. "Really," he moved a strand of hair away from my face and he kissed me softly.  I wrapped my arms around him and kissed him back. "Is this real?" I asked looking at him lovingly. "Very much so," he smiled and kissed me on the forehead. "I love you," I smiled excitedly and kissed him on the cheek. "I love you so much, Ro. More than all the silver and gold in the whole world," he proclaimed. I blushed and made a show of putting my hands to my heart, "Then I must be so lovable!" I pretended to swoon in his arms, and that made him laugh. "Aye, you're my greatest treasure," "And you're mine," this time I initiated the kiss. He kissed me softly again, and my heart began to fly. This felt like a dream, but I knew it was very much real. Jack was the most important man in my life, and I felt safe with him. After sailing by his side for all these years, I had never felt more secure. 

  We stopped kissing and looked at each other, and Jack stroked my face with his thumb. He smiled his handsome smile, and I saw the brief glow of his gold tooth. "You are so beautiful," he caressed my face again. "You're my handsome knight come to protect me," I whispered flirtatiously. My romantic comment made him smile, and I saw him blush, "You know how to make a man feel special." "You are special."