Making Sail

Jack and I left the tavern to make sail for whatever destination awaited us.

We walked along the dock and I couldn't see the boat anywhere. All I saw were tiny fishing boats.

"Jack, I don't see your ship at all," I kept looking for what could possibly be it.

"You're looking at her," he pointed to the small boat that could only fit two people and had one sail.

"She's very elegant," I attempted to make a compliment.
He smiled gratefully and held out his hand for me again, "Our voyage awaits,"
I took his hand, "Quite the gentleman," I blushed as he helped me into the boat. Jack lifted the anchor and we pushed off.

Jack was studying the map while I looked out into the horizon. The moon illuminated the water and it gave off a brilliant glow! It was beautiful. Suddenly, a sea shanty came to my mind and I began to sing.

Upon one summer's morning, I carefully did stray
Down by the Walls of Wapping, where I met a sailor gay
Conversing with a bouncing lass, who seemed to be in pain
Saying William, when you go, I fear you will never return again
My heart is pierced by Cupid
I disdain all glittering gold
There is nothing can console me
But my jolly sailor bold
His hair it hangs in ringlets, his eyes as black as coal
My happiness attend him wherever he may go
From Tower Hill to Blackwall, I'll wander, weep and moan
All for my jolly sailor, until he sails home
My heart is pierced by Cupid
I disdain all glittering gold
There is nothing can console me
But my jolly sailor bold
My name it is Maria, a merchant's daughter fair
And I have left my parents and three thousand pounds a year
Come all you pretty fair maids, whoever you may be
Who love a jolly sailor that ploughs the raging sea
While up aloft in storm, from me his absence mourn
And firmly pray, arrive the day, he's never more to roam
My heart is pierced by Cupid
I disdain all glittering gold
There is nothing can console me
But my jolly sailor bold
My heart is pierced by Cupid
I disdain all glittering gold
There is nothing can console me
But my jolly sailor bold

I had no idea that Jack was listening the whole time. He seemed impressed, "You have a lovely singing voice," "Thank you, Jack." I smiled and my hands began to tremble, this happened when I was nervous. Why was I nervous? I had no reason to be nervous!
"My mother used to sing me that song when I was a little girl before I went to sleep; and she always told me that I would find my 'Jolly Sailor Bold,'" I said.

"That's very sweet," he said. I could tell he wanted to make more conversation, "Was it just you in your family?"
"No, I have a brother; William," I told him. "He was on the same shipwreck as my father, but he was never found," I still recalled the day Mother received the news and then she told me. We were both crying for hours at the loss of my Father and brother.

"Life hasn't been kind, has it," Jack replied sadly.

"Aye, you would be right," I acknowledged. We both looked at each other in silence for a while, and it was getting awkward.
"So where are we headed?" I asked looking at the map.
"Port Royal, we need to get rid of this floating plank of wood and find a better ship," he said showing me the spot on the map.
"I grew up in Port Royal," I said with a fond smile. "Then you know you're way around there?" "Aye, but did you hire me just because I would be of use to you?" I asked suspiciously.
"No, I genuinely found you interesting and the fact that you know your way around Port Royal is a bonus," he assured me.
"Good, because I can't afford betrayal," I warned.

Then we each took watch while the other slept, and after hours we were about to dock in Port Royal and the boat sprung a leak! Whoever Jack took the boat from wasn't going to be happy.