Emerging from the Shadows

"Oh shit! That meteor is coming our way!"

No one had time to react as the meteor flew through the sky, glowing with intensity as it pierced the lower atmosphere. The meteor whizzed over our heads, narrowly avoiding the city below as it crashed somewhere into the area behind us.

The entire city was hanging on the verge of chaos. If that meteor's flight path had changed by even a degree, then it would have spelled disaster for the people and Pastoria City. However, it wasn't meant to be because by some stroke of luck or maybe even magic, the meteor had avoided the city and had crashed elsewhere.

May stood up from where she was sitting, turning around to see where the meteor had landed. The four of us stood up beside her, but we couldn't pinpoint the exact location of where the falling star had crashed from inside the city. I looked over to the brunette, able to read her thoughts as she turned to me. Only one thing was on her mind and I could tell she knew something about what was going on.

"That wasn't any ordinary meteor was it?" I spoke up, questioning what we were all thinking.

"I don't have time to explain, we need to get over before someone else gets there before us."

May's mind was made up and I soon realised the extremity of what this meant. The Millennium Festival been founded to celebrate a certain mythical pokemon. As I connected two and two together, I realised that we wouldn't be the only ones who would be pursuing the meteor.

"It landed in the Great Marsh. We can get there quickly from above." Dawn called out to us, recalling her pokemon as we did the same, calling back any pokemon we didn't need right now.

Dragonite lowered her shoulders, allowing Dawn and I to climb aboard. Red mounted atop Charizard as Elaine was scooped up by Altaria's cloudy feathers. May lead the way, atop Togekiss as the five of us took to the skies in pursuit of the fallen meteor.

---

"There's a clearing just ahead, we should search on foot from here."

May descended first, Togekiss leading the way. As the fairy pokemon changed its flight path, we followed suit, landing on the swamped floor below.

The surrounding trees were tall, meaning that we couldn't rely on the moon or starlight to guide us. The wet muddy floor squelched beneath our feet and it was only now I was thankful for having packed rainboots for an occasion like this. Everyone else had thought ahead just the same, prepared for all situations.

"There they are! It's those kids!"

Numerous voices called out from the trees around the clearing and as I focused on the treeline, I felt my eyes flare up, allowing me to see a little better in the darkness. I couldn't make out too much but I already had a feeling that I knew who was out there.

"Ah shit! We need to get moving, we can't be held up here."

The brunette took charge, leading the way among the swampy field. She had recalled Togekiss, opting to have Flygon by her side in this environment. I didn't need to think twice, releasing both Sceptile and Dragapult to help out. The forest gecko took to the swamps like a natural, skating through the mud clearing the way for us as he marched ahead.

I could tell May had a rough idea of where to find the meteor and with my ocular powers, I was able to detect the varying waves of energy the fallen star was giving off. The two of us lead the way, with Dawn and Elaine covering our flanks while Red took the rear. After pushing forward for a while, I could feel the energy signals getting stronger and from the looks of it, May could too.