The Tallest Mountain

"Finally, this should be the last room."

Primarina and I had made our way through all four of the rooms that used to belong to the old Sinnoh elite four. Each time, we were faced with a different ancient melody that the two of us sang to near perfection.

We had just stepped out of a particularly purple room, the walls coloured lavender while the air was filled with a mysterious lilac mist. Nevertheless, the two of us played the music presented to us, the locked door opening to reveal another walkway.

After taking the somehow still functional elevator, we were now stood in front of two more heavy steel doors. I could hear a faint melody playing from behind the doors but there was no way through. As I pressed my ear against the cold metal door, the song became clear and I recognised it as the same melody that I heard back in victory road.

I exchanged a knowing look with the water type beside me who was patiently waiting for the go ahead signal. I nodded, calling out, "Alright, Primarina use psychic to open the doors."

The water type nodded, her eyes glowing a light blue in the darkened hallway. As I turned back to the heavy metal doors, I could see that they had been enveloped in a similar blue light. There was a terrible crunching sound as the metal doors folded over each other, the entrance now open.

The moment we stepped into the dark room, two cyan blue headlights flickered on, illuminating the room. As I looked around, I was greeted by a black tiled room with a glowing battlefield at the center. Just past the glowing field, there was an elevator shaft but it had been terribly damaged, meaning there was no way to continue on to whatever stood above this room.

"Meloooo"

A familiar pokemon cry rang in my ears, echoing throughout the large empty room. I sensed Primarina's unease, the water type apprehensive about whatever lurked in the shadows. Quickly, I looked around, searching for another music scroll but there was nothing in sight.

Then out of nowhere, a small green haired pokemon descended from the darkness above, now in full view. Its eyes were closed, the pokemon singing a light, melodic song that echoed through the room. Instantly, my eyes snapped to the pokemon, recognising the song as the compilation of each of the four verses that Primarina and I had sang in each of the rooms preceding this one.

Slowly, the pokemon opened its eyes, its bright blue irises piercing through the darkness as it looked out toward Primarina and I. There was a soft smile on its face which somehow reassured me, putting the two of us at ease.

I took one step forward, causing the mysterious pokemon to promptly stop singing. Its eyes began to glow, projecting an image onto the opposite side of the battlefield. It took a moment for the hologram to materialise but I recognised who was being shown to me before the picture was in full focus.

"Aaron?"

Of course, there was no response but seeing a familiar face took me by surprise. The blue light image didn't speak, its stern expression still resembling Aaron's always serious face. Slowly, the hologram reached toward its back pocket, pulling out a pokeball.

The melody pokemon stood behind the hologram, continuing to project the picture as it resumed the song it had been playing before. 'Aaron' pulled out a pokeball, releasing a certain snow fox pokemon onto the battlefield, quietly awaiting my response.

"Who would have thought..." I paused for a moment as I reached for a pokeball, "My closest friend, and my biggest obstacle. Ampharos, it's time to show how strong we've really become!"

The light pokemon emerged from her pokeball, standing on the battlefield for the first time since I had teamed up with her back in Sage Town. Ampharos held her gentle gaze on the field, analysing the snow fox hologram who stood opposite her.