Divinity Reborn

"So it's come down to this."

Cyrus' face was blank, no emotion readable but this wasn't any different to how he usually portrayed himself. He reached for his final pokeball, tossing it into the air, catching it with his other hand.

"This is the final test of your strength, Aaron."

At that, Cyrus released his final pokemon. There was a burst of dark purple light, a shockwave at the release of the last pokemon who stood between my opponent and I.

As the light faded, I felt a huge psychic presence looming in the distance across the field. My eyes adjusted, seeing a pitch black skinned pokemon floating in the air, soaking in the emptiness of the void. There was a bright orange appendage jutting from its right shoulder, the tip of its tail matching in colour. The pokemon's eyes glowed a faint purple, quietly focused on where I stood.

"Giovanni and I worked tirelessly to create the perfect pokemon, each time failing to produce absolution. Silvally's complete form comes close but nothing compares to the strength of Mewtwo in its shadow form!"

Dragonite took a step forward, ready for the fight. I could see how much she wanted to battle and she hadn't had a chance to go all out just yet. This was the perfect opportunity to see how far we had come since our battles against Lysandre, Red and N.

I felt a pokeball twitch by my side, a faint draconic aura pouring out from the seal. I could see that Sceptile also wanted this fight but I assured him that we would need his strength to face whatever laid beyond Cyrus.

"Alright Dragonite, this is your time now!"

The orange scaled dragon stepped onto the field, a confident smile on her face as she eyed up her opponent. Mewtwo hovered in the air silently, an intimidating glare on its face but it would take much more than that to deter Dragonite.

"Start with hurricane!"

"Blizzard to counter."

Dragonite started strong, whipping up a category four storm out of nowhere. Mewtwo was quick to counter, unleashing an icy gale from its mouth, the two moves colliding at the centre of the island.

Both attacks mixed with each other, creating an ice cold cyclone that quickly imploded on itself. The subsequent explosion kicked up a huge dust cloud, the smaller surrounding islands blown back by the powerful shockwave.

Neither pokemon was holding anything back, starting the battle off strong. The smoke cloud dissipated and as I looked across the field, Mewtwo had vanished.

Then a flash of black light crossed the field, its tail glowing a metallic silver. Dragonite braced for impact, waiting for the call.

"Now! Superpower to counter!"

Coated in a hot red steam, Dragonite swung her fist forward as Mewtwo brought down its tail from overhead. Both pokemon were locked into a stalemate, neither giving an inch as they pushed their opponent to the limit.

Dragonite swung with her free hand, Mewtwo pushing off from the contact to avoid the attack. I turned to the other side of the field, evaluating the strengths of our opponent. In this shadow form, Mewtwo's physical capabilities didn't trail too far from it's long distance excellence and that was a problem for us.

Then I looked back to our side of the island, Dragonite's confidence overflowing from her body. As strong as our opponent was, the dragon pokemon was able to match them step for step.

"Alright, now use spiral hurricane!"

Without wasting a second, Dragonite flew high into the air, calling on another category four storm. This time, she surrounded herself with it, flying at the epicentre of the cyclone. Then, she descended from the skies at great speed, Mewtwo frozen in its tracks.