Nightmare World III

Smoke billowed out from the top of the lighthouse, well from what was left of it. The roof had been blown to pieces from the battle with Mewtwo and the wooden floor beneath didn't look much better. The midday sun shone brightly in the sky above, flooding the remains of the room in an intense sunny glow.

Aegislash had already returned to his pokeball, taking his well deserved rest after such a tough battle. That left Red, Mew and I stood on the remains of the observation deck. The silent trainer was sat with his legs hanging off the edge of the lighthouse, looking over the city across the bay. The psychic pokemon was floating quietly beside him, its eyes following its new trainer's.

This was the second time I had encountered a pixie legendary, my mind flashing back to the Great Marsh, where May had met the wish pokemon, Jirachi. With its help, we were able to turn away the two attackers who had crossed the swamp in an attempt to capture it. I was sure Red would tell us all the story about how he met the newest addition to his team but for now he was deep in thought.

"Aaron, Aaron, can you hear me?"

A familiar voice pulled me out of my thoughts and it took me a moment to realise that it was coming from the device attached to my wrist. May's voice was calling out urgently but once she heard me respond, her voice became much calmer.

"Is everything all good up there? It looked like quite a battle but I'm guessing you and Red did just fine."

"Yeah, we're all fine but we need a moment to catch our breath. We'll meet you back at the pokemon center."

At that, May said that she and the girls would be waiting there for us. The connection between our auras broke off, the device on my wrist shutting down. I let out a huge sigh, glad that everything had been cleared up in this city but I knew that didn't mean we were done here.

Now that Giovanni had caught wind of Red and I, I was sure that the huge group he was working with would only accelerate their plans. Red also must have picked up on this, a determined look on his face as he stood to his feet to face me.

I had to do a double take before confirming that Red's eyes were glowing a deep red, even under the intense midday sun. He nodded once as I felt my eyes flare up instinctively. Meeting Mew must have awoken something within him because I was sure I was looking at a different trainer.

"We should get going, the girls are probably still worried about us."

---

"There they are! Red! Aaron! Over here!" May's excited voice called out to the two of us as we climbed down from the backs of our pokemon. The brunette was stood outside the entrance of the pokemon center, Dawn and Elaine stood a little behind her.

Once the five of us regrouped, we made our way to the rocky beach on the shore of the bay. Unlike Pastoria City, the beaches at Sunyshore weren't sandy as the coastline stretching across the rocky terrain only allowed for pebbled beaches.

"..."

Red spoke up first, filling the girls in on what happened at the top of the lighthouse, emphasising that Giovanni had escaped. I could see where he was going with this, something clearly at the back of his mind.

"Yeah, Flint told us about how Team Galactic took down the pokemon league." Dawn spoke up, clearing the air surrounding the mystery about the elite four's whereabouts. "Of course they had to do it while Cynthia and Lucian were away."

Knowing Team Galactic, they wouldn't use the league as their base of operations. Instead, they must have targeted the league when its wasn't at full strength, just to get the elite four out of the picture. The pokemon league was too obvious of a location and would only attract unwanted attention that they didn't need. So, their actual base of operations was still a mystery.