Chapter One

Flopping down on the couch, my arm rests over my eyes. Work was horribly long and boring. An exasperated sigh leaves me as I sit up and stare across at the television. The temptation to kick up my feet and watch the volleyball highlights is almost overpowering.

My eyes drift to the world outside the window. It's a beautiful summer's evening, the perfect time to go for a walk. An evening like this shouldn't be wasted.

The front door opens and (bf/n) walks in. He looks more exhausted than I feel. He has been working a lot lately. I greet him with a warm smile as I lean over the side of the couch.

"How was work?" I ask.

He kicks off his shoes and drops his bag on the floor. An irritated sigh leaves him. "I've just walked through the door. Can I have like five minutes? I've been talking with people all day. It's kind of the last thing I want to do when I get home." He snides.

I nod, moving my eyes to the floor where his bag is sitting. "Sorry, you're right. I'm going for a walk now anyway so you can have some peace and quiet."

"Okay." Is all he says as he vanishes down the hallway.

He's just tired, I remind myself.

I quickly get changed and put my headphones in. My motivation is lacking a little but this is something I need to do. I'll look much better when I lose some more weight.

I take a deep breath as I step outside the front door of our house. I admire the view for a moment as I look out over the city.

The sweet summer air engulfs me, giving me the motivation I need to get going.

A hand lands on my shoulder making me jump. I quickly pull a headphone out and look back over my shoulder. (bf/n) stands behind me with his gym gear on with a scowl plastered on his face.

"I'm coming with you." He says.

"Oh, sure. I thought you wanted some peace. You look tired, I understand if you don't want to come with me."

He raises an eyebrow at me. "I thought you'd be happy. Are you meeting up with someone? A guy?" He questions.

I shake my head and hold my hands up. "No, nothing like that. I just want to make sure you want to come with me. You've been working a lot."

"I'm very tired but the tone you used with me before made me feel bad." He walks off ahead of me.

I jog to catch up with him. "I never intended to do that. I just wanted to give you some space." I explain.

"Sure, you did." His voice is laced with sarcasm.

There is no winning this or trying to explain it to him. I go quiet and match my pace with his as we take a shortcut through a forest. A small lake lies on the other side.

"Stop being so mopey. We are doing this for you, remember." He says, putting an arm around my shoulders.

I give him a small smile. "Sorry. I just thought you were mad at me."

We step foot onto the lake path and his arm drops away from me. There aren't too many people around this evening, it's usually busy at this time.

"You should consider running this circuit. It will help you lose weight faster." (bf/n) comments as he looks down at his phone.

"Sometimes I do. I don't think I'm much of a runner though."

"Weren't you on the volleyball team in high school?"

I shake my head. "No, I wasn't on the team. I just helped them train."

"That's right you were the team whore, right?" He jokes but I know deep down he believes it.