Chapter Two

The sun peeks through my closed curtains, gently rousing me from my sleep. I roll over to find the other side of the bed empty. I place my hand where he would normally lie and a disappointed sigh leaves me as I get up. The house is silent.

Flicking on the jug, I stare out the window watching as the neighbourhood comes to life. Children laughing, dogs barking, everything is so filled with love and life. While I stand in my kitchen where I feel like I'm going stale.

The jug chimes and I pour myself a cup of coffee. The heaviness under my eyes drags me down as I sit on the couch and stare blankly at the wall in front of me.

Another late night at the office. That's the sixth time this month. My tired mind starts to trail off to the looming thoughts. I want to repress them but the images are already seared deep into my memory. The text messages I found on his phone were from a woman, a woman who isn't me. Messages of I love you and I can't wait to see you again.

Messages that we used to send each other. My heart sinks but the hollow feeling inside stops me from crying.

I pull my phone out, no messages or missed calls. I guess I got used to having multiple messages from Kuroo and Bokoto when we were younger. Always asking for advice and when I could help them with training.

A white card captures my attention as it sticks out of the back of my phone. It's Kuroo's business card that he gave me last night.

I place my coffee aside and quickly start typing a message out to him.

Hey, it's your favourite best friend here.

I hit send, leaning back into the couch.

Bokuto! My favourite best friend. Good to hear from you man! I told (y/n) to wear something sexy and short for you this Saturday ;D

You're an idiot, Kuroo. It's (y/n).

I know, just pulling your leg. Will your man be joining us or is he still sour about Bokuto?

Probably not... he is busy with work. But that's okay.

Trouble in paradise?

Are you free now? Want to get coffee?

Sure! It's nearly my morning break anyway. How about that coffee place you used to drag me to in high school? Is it still open?

It sure is and I'm still their number one customer. I'll meet you there in half an hour?

I'll be the tall, dark, handsome one.

Tall, yes. Handsome, debatable. See you soon.

Meanie >:(

I get off the couch, abandoning my coffee and head for the bathroom. The front door opens and (bf/n) walks in. Looking a little too fresh for someone who spent the whole night in the office. My heart starts hammering away in my chest.

"Hey, how was work?" I manage to get out.

He nods. "It was good. Do you want to go out for breakfast?"

"I'm actually about to head out to have coffee with Kuroo, sorry. Maybe next time. I close the bathroom door behind me.

(bf/n) is sitting at the kitchen table with my phone in his hands as I walk out of the bathroom. He doesn't even try to hide the fact that he is looking through it.

"Is that Bokuto guy going to dinner this Saturday?" He asks sharply.

I grab my bag from the kitchen table and take my phone back from him. "I'm not sure. He doesn't even live in this city."