Chapter Three

Standing in front of the mirror, I give a little spin checking myself out. I look good. I can't even remember the last time I was this dressed up.

It's been a while since I wore something this nice. A beautiful black knee-length, off the shoulder dress. My hair looks on point along with my makeup. I'm surprised with myself.

(bf/n) walks past our bedroom, pausing in the doorway. I look back over my shoulder at him, there is a scowl on his face. Not the look I wanted from him.

"Why don't you get dressed up like this for me?" He asks, his work bag in his hand.

"We never go out anymore. You're so busy with work. That's why I don't dress up like this." I say with a little snark.

He snorts. "I'm not surprised you're getting dressed up for other men."

I bite my lip, holding back any more comments. I'm only going to start an argument and end up hurting myself. I turn my head away from him and stare at myself in the mirror. The sadness in my eyes is so obvious but he seems to miss it.

"I won't be home tonight. Not like I expect you to come home..." He says before leaving the house.

My heart sinks a little. "You look beautiful this evening, (y/n)," I tell myself with a sad smile.

I move from the room and into the dining room where my clutch is. (bf/n) is on the table beside it. I freeze at the sight of it. It's calling to me. Begging to be opened and show me the dark secrets it holds.

My eyes move over to the front door, I heard his car leave before so he's no longer at home. My palms start to get sweaty and I know it's a bad idea. But I need to know, I need to confirm my suspicion.

Without thinking I pick up his phone, unlocking it. A message chimes through and for a moment I swear my heart stops.

Can't wait to see you tonight. I've booked us a nice hotel. Love you-

The message is cut off and I don't dare open it. I lock his phone and place it back down where I found it. Tears brim along the edges of my eyes as I stare blankly down at my clutch. My whole body is numb. I was right and for the first time in my life, it felt so wrong.

A honk rings outside indicating my ride is here. I give his phone one last glance before gathering my things and walking out of the house.

This is meant to be a happy night... I will try my best and keep it to myself. I don't want to ruin our reunion. This is something I can deal with later.

Kuroo is leaning on the side of his car with his arms crossed over his chest. "Come on, slowpoke." He calls out.

I push the dreadful thoughts aside and put on a brave face. I shake my head as I approach the car.

"Don't make me throw one of these heels at you," I call back.

"If it's anything like your serving in volleyball, I think I'll be okay." Kuroo cackles.

A beautiful woman pushes her head out of the window, a huge smile on her face. "I believe in you, hun. He's a pretty big target."

"Mina, you're meant to be on my side." Kuroo pouts as I stop in front of him.

"Tough luck, looks like she's on my team," I say.

He holds the door open for me. "At least Bokuto will be on my side."

"Think again." I wiggle my eyebrows at the tall man before sliding into the car.

Kuroo's fiance leans into the back seat, holding her hand out to me. "Hi, I'm Mina. The woman that puts up with this man's bullshit."