46. Interlude

If there was anything he hated more than the stench of sweaty drunk humans, was when those same sweaty drunk humans wouldn't leave him alone. They acted friendly and greeted him as if he was from these parts. A scornful frown stitched on his teeth as he slapped a reaching hand away.

He grumbled lowly, muttering about adopting disgusting human habits as he turned away, marching forth and towards the exit. Uncaring of the low pleading voice behind him as he continued on out the door. A sigh behind him was his own indication that his brother chose to stay back.

The skeleton monster huffed softly, rolling his eyelights - white with a glowing red hue - before turning attention to the street light. The blur of angry shapes stopped into identical white dots as he traveled down the street.

He gripped the paper bag in his hold, the glass clinking together as he turned a corner. His temper high and brewing—

He paused for a second. His bones shivering against the nipping cold, but that wasn't what had stopped him.

He took a second to realize that it was coming closer at a high pace. His teeth turned upwards into a sinister grin - FINALLY, SOMETHING TO HIT. He thought, tucking the bag underneath his jacket and began sprinting towards the smell. Taking turns and crossing the street to corner the hunted.

It was close, he could sense it, just around the corner—

He couldn't stop himself from colliding straight into the source. The bag slipped and shattered on the pavement as he fell back. His temper spinning in confusion as he quickly looked at his attacker.

Still, They got up and grabbed the soaked paper bag with the shattered champagne bottles within and handed it back. Apologizing once, twice..

"I'm so sorry! I didn't see you until it was too late."  They said, a bit pink in the face. He wondered— "Please excuse me!" His train of thought ended with a disproval grunt as he watched them sprint down the street.

Gripping the soaked bag, the contents finally ripping brought and shattering once more, his vision drenched in red.

Turing around, he bellowed out in anger. "HUMAN! WAI- STOP THIS INSTANT!" He shouted, throwing the bag onto the ground and sprinted after them. They continued to run much to his displeasure, an annoyed huff came from him as he ripped through a shortcut, somewhere closer to where they were running.

"IF YOU DO NOT STOP THIS INSTANT, WE WILL HAVE A PROBLEM!" But his words of warning seemed to fall of deaf ears - or catching unwanted attention. He glared at anyone who looked at him funny before continuing his pursuit.

He glanced towards the alleyway before walking past, knowing fully aware the human was hiding. The scent of those idiotic excuses of skeletons were practically imprinted on them. It was beyond disgusting that the household stooped so low to enjoy the company of a human.

Blueberry, unbelievable or not, was the most surprising.

He turned his heel, the slight clicking of his heels echoed as he neared the dumpster, his attention already trained on the prey.

"THERE YOU ARE." He announced his arrival, snickering in amusement at the faintest inhale. "HIDING IS IMPOSSIBLE, I PRACTICALLY SMELL THE FEAR IN YOUR SOUL." He lied, covering his amusement as he slowed his approach, letting them stir in their own fear and anxieties.

"YOU ALSO SMELL LIKE THEM." Standing in the middle of the road, he raised his foot - a deep red boot glowing with his magic as he kicked the dumpster with a loud BANG ! followed by a cry of surprise and terror.

He began laughing,"FOUND YOU~!"

*.*.*.*.*

As he watched his brother leave the bar, a pair of familiar faces popped up. Blueberry and Stretch (of Underswap) walked through the doors, glancing around the bar and it was Stretch who noticed him first.

He straightened up as if to appear taller, the light orange magic over his bones seemed to disappear as he nudged his brother beside him. Blueberry glanced at Stretch with a slight annoyance in his eyelight but that turned into concern then confusion and finally a guarded look when Stretch gestured to where he sat.

He huffed softly, the golden fangs glinting in the dim light as he drowned an alcoholic mixture of BBQ. Ignoring the two as they approached in silent. With the way Mr. Prissy was staggering, he guessed he was drunk or trying to sober up from the looks of it.

Still, he didn't show his amusement or that he was watching them, choosing to appear to care for his drink instead.

"MUTT." Blueberry greeted in past tense. 'Mutt' rolled his eyelight to side-glance at his two arrivals, taking another sip of his BBQ mixture. He took another loud sip for dramatic measures.

"runt." he greeted, finally turning towards the brothers. He snickered at the slow-rise anger in Stretch's face, taking another sip before greeting him. "and prissy. oh, what an honour-"

"cut the shit, dog. what are you doing here?" Stretch hissed, cutting him off.

Mutt shook his head, tsk-ing softly at the offended skeleton's manners. "nonya." He shrugged, smirking slightly at the confusion blueberry had but before he could ask, Stretch cut him off.

"boo, no fun." he said with zero enthusiasm, finishing the contents of his drink and placed the glass cup down along with some bills. "no fun, so i'm leaving." He paused for a second, looking down at his phone with mild confusion.

The single word in the message read 'COME.'

Simple and short, but he knew better. It was 'come, we're leaving.'

"MUTT, WAIT. WHERE IS BLACK?" Blueberry said, blocking his exit route. Mutt raised his browbone at the smaller skeleton and glanced briefly at Stretch. Everything in his non-gut was telling him not to push these two and avoid conflict. At least until he knew where his brother was and what he meant, he slipped his phone back into his pockets.

He didn't answer Blueberry, choosing to stare with his browbones slowly knitting together, acting annoyed. Blueberry narrowed his sockets back, almost daring him to leave without a proper answer.

Mutt tilted his head, opening his mouth with a forced smile. "no idea."

"...ARE WE GOING TO SEE YOU SOON?"

"maybe. you might havta come searching, tho." he said, snickering softly to himself. Blueberry and Stretch shared an uncertain look before returning his gaze. Mutt raised his brow at the brothers before over-stepping around Blueberry and headed towards the exit. Saying his goodbyes to Grillby as he did so, even if it was just a wave.

The frustration from Blueberry due to his lack of cooperation and the boiling anger Stretch easily gifted him was all too fun. He wondered what else his bro had up his sleeve as he turned towards a narrow alleyway, using his other senses to locate his brother and...

A human?

———————————
Author's note: Mutt definitely knows how to piss off Stretch and Blueberry, I wonder how everyone is going to realize they have their human??
*dives back into hiatus*