33. A surprised phone call

Snow had began to fall once you made you way to the roads, a quick stop to a drive-through, and then back on the road towards the overhead looming mountain. You had yet to check the weather forecast, but judging by the snow - a storm was brewing. Lightly tapping the wheel, a cup in your hand and a straw in between your lips. Soft music playing on your Bluetooth, eyes on the road and occasionally staring at the back of Josh's vehicle.

The best thing about driving on the highway, in your opinion, was that you didn't have to stop every two minutes whenever the traffic lights shined red.

Putting the cup down onto the holder, You muttered softly under your breath with the best of the music.

A small frightened squeak ripped through your throat as the back tires of your car swerved lightly, tightly gripping the wheel with both hands out of fear - you cursed the beautiful weather.

It was until you were safely driving on dirt roads did you relax, leaning back onto the seat instead of tightly holding onto the wheel and sitting unnecessarily straight for the last few hours — too tensed to even relax and enjoy the chilling ride.

Agile had snuggled comfortably near the warm heater, the music now much slower. Feeling a bit envious, you forced the feeling away and turned your attention to the road. Your brother's car a bit further away but not too far that they had to stop for you. A small hum came from you as you lightly pressed the gas.

Turning down a familiar road, the wooden sign that proudly held the family name carved beautifully with Scottish designs in the border.

The corners of your lips perked up, memories with your cousins resurfacing once the cabins came to view. Three were placed side by side, curving with the road where other vehicles were already parked.

The middle cabin housed your grandparents, great aunts and uncles - the largest cabin compared to the two besides it. The one on the left housed your family, Aunt May's family, and Uncle Richard's family, the same goes to the one on the right: Uncle Matthew's, Aunt Margaret, and finally, Aunty Helen.

Josh's vehicle stopped in front of the cabin on the left for easy access, while you parked yours near a familiar navy mini-van.

Memories of stupidly reckless moments when you and your cousins would climb into the lowest roof and jump down to the thick snow beds below. No one received any injuries, except maybe a small sprain, other than then it was fun. Stupid but fun. A large fire pit in the back had to be installed after your grandpa's attempt of deep frying the turkey, ruined half of the yard for several months.

Subconsciously, your eyes wandered towards the round window in the attic. A lump formed in your throat as you forced your eyes to tear away. A shiver crawled up your spine at the vague memories of being dragged, gagged, locked and thrown into the chilly darkness.

It was a vague feeling, you couldn't recall much memories surrounding that attic. Small fragments of memories calling together, slowly piecing each other back - a sharp pain stung at the back of your head, making you wince and lightly press your fingers to the dulling sting.

A knock on the window startled you, a scream ripping through your throat — Agile instantly jumping up with action and quickly scurried to the window, shooting saliva from his mouth onto the clear glass whilst waving his legs in the air, a low hissing sound coming from him.

Heart erratically beating in your chest, your widen eyes stared into Josh's dull ones. A roll of his eyes, he curled his finger - wordlessly telling your to come out.

"Agile." You called softly to the hissing spider. A flash of red appeared in his eyes before returning to its original black colour. "I was just startled - it's just Josh."